Friday, February 1, 2013

Hello February!

Here we go with the 100th Day of School, Groundhog Day, Chinese New Year, Valentine's Day and President's Day. I'm already tired

This is a little project that my kids adore and they look beautiful hanging from the wall before Valentine's Day. I can't remember where I got this idea, it's one I've used for years.  It's made with clear plastic and card stock. Go to a fabric store and look at the different weights of clear plastic and pick a thinner one. The thicker versions will give your hands blisters when you cut the heart shapes out. I always purchase about 1 yard. This year I've only got 18 children so a yard will be too much but I will just save it for next year.

Next, cut a heart shaped pattern, lay it on the plastic, and cut out however many hearts you need. Take the heart pattern and cut out the same number of colored card stock hearts. This year I used patterned paper for fun. Don't use regular weight paper or the hearts will collapse.

Now, place a clear heart on top of the colored card stock heart. Using a hole punch, go around the perimeter, holding the two hearts firmly together as you go or the holes won't line up and you will have mutiny on your hands. Place the holes fairly close together or the candy hearts will fall out. Been there done that!
Next you'll need some ribbon (not yarn - I coud never get these to work with yarn). About a yard per heart should be enough. Don't skimp or you have to start over!

Leaving extra ribbon where you start "sewing" will make it possible to tie a bow when you are finished. Teach the kids that the ribbon is like a snake. It comes up the hole, around the edge then back up the hole. I'm not going to say this is an easy project but it can be done in small groups. I always get them started to make sure there is enough ribbon at the end for the bow.

Stop with about 2 inches to go and have them put in their candy hearts and a little tiny love note for the person it is going to (we make these the day before so that I can roll and tie a ribbon around each one. Some kids just sign their name with some x' and o's - secret admirers!).

Finish "sewing" and tie a bow after you have checked to be sure the ribbon is tight all the way around. Attach another longer ribbon for a necklace! Done! Go home and take a hot bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment