Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Parent Valentine

For our parent valentine gift we turn the kids into love bugs. In fact, they are a giant walking Valentine Bug. The picture doesn't do it justice so I've included some close ups for you,

First the kids sponge paint a giant heart with glitter tempera paint. We usually use pink, red and a shade of purple. They glue it onto a slightly larger piece of white paper shaped like a heart. Then I cut the larger piece to look like lace. Next they take a hole bunch and go to town making little holes on the white portion of lace. Yes, it's a mess and yes, I often end up helping them finish. But the results are beautiful.

 Next, they glue down the following poem right in the middle of the heart (Once again, I have done this forever and have no idea where the poem came from. If anyone has seen it before and knows who the author is, let me know so I can give them credit!). I sometimes outline it with puffy paint. In this picture I smudged it up by accident.

Dear Mom and Dad:
I could not find a Valentine
Just for you that I could sign.
So...I thought, you see..
That I would give you ME!

2 eyes that smile...2 lips that kiss
And all my LOVE goes with this.
So here I am for you so fine...
Here's just ME... Your Valentine!
I love you!

Finally, we take a third heart (same size as the white sponge painted one) and we tie the "shoulders together to make it into a sandwich board and to finish it off we add little angel wings made out of doilies.

The hat is a spin-off from a spider hat that we make in October. You can't see but the feet are made of patterned paper hearts.


Let me tell you that when the boys get a look at this project they always make it perfectly clear  that there is no way they are wearing this cutesy get up, even for mom! I raised boys and I have a picture of them crying in this outfit  SO... the new improved boy version (or girls, if they want) has tennis shoes and sunglasses. Cool dudes!

To keep my current boys from crying, I am thinking of making some neat jet packs from upside down 2-litter soda bottles sprayed gray with tissue-paper flames. The idea came from Inspiringpretty.com. They called them Bottle Blasters. I have been looking for an excuse to make them and I have a feeling those would be a hit! Now I have to come up with a poem about love that is "out of this world" (and I better get busy drinking soda).


No comments:

Post a Comment