Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Valentine projects

Years and years ago, when I was a new kindergarten teacher, I was invited by a good friend to attend a class being taught by a well known teacher. Well, all I can say is, after watching and listening to her, I knew I wanted go to every class she offered! She was amazing and her kind attitude towards all of us newbies was very sincere. I took elaborate steps to arrange opportunities to listen to her whenever I could!

It was at one such class that she story-told "Four Valentines in a Rainstorm"By Felicia Bond. I was impressed.  First of all, the story is adorable and stands beautifully on its own. Whether you choose to story-tell it or not, find a copy-you'll love it.

She dressed as the main character. Reaching up to catch hearts, she placed them in her pocket. Then she began making all the same valentines as in the story. It was beautifully done and I promised myself I would work on my own version.

Mine never measured up to hers, not even close, but I still have a lot of fun with it. I have opened our Valentine's Day with this story and I have ended our day with it as well. I recommend starting off your day with it-the kids are exhausted at the end of the party and don't listen as well, my eyes are crossed and I'm usually unable to string together a complete sentence by then. Story-tell when you are fresh!


The picture shows some of the props. So, go find your slicker, galoshes and Sou'-wester - even a navy peacoat, beret and red scarf would do. I can assure you that the kids will love this imaginative story  of kindness.

The other book that I found this summer is called "The Giant Hug" written by Sandra Horning and Illustrated by Valerie Gorbachev.  I'm pretty sure that many of you have already seen it. Oh my gosh! It is just about the cutest story ever! It's about a little pig who wants to send his grandma a hug in the mail-a REAL hug. The story is very entertaining and I love the surprise ending.  Too cute!




After I found the book, up pops the perfect valentine activity to go along with it from www.thepartyevent.com. I saw their sweet idea on Pinterest and got right to work on a sample. Just measure your child's wingspan in ribbon, cut out their hand prints and decorate with hearts! It was super easy. Their little message that went with it was very cute but I decided to write a poem. Feel free to use it for your own long distance hug project! Happy Valentine's Day!



1 comment: