Saturday, March 2, 2013

Art Portfolio


KindergartenWorks
So, this is what I brought home to work on this weekend. I keep walking right by and conveniently find other things to do! Anything. Scrubbing the sink looks more attractive than tackling this mess. It's actually worse than it looks because there's more stuff behind both chairs!

One of the things I have to do is file art work. I've piled things under my desk for a while now and thought I'd better get to work.  I wanted to show you the paper bag art portfolio that has served me well over the years. Once again, I have no idea who taught me how to make them! I really would love to give credit to the right person!! Anyway...

Get paper grocery bags that have handles. Begin by cutting down the side seam and around the bottom of the bag. Toss the bottom aside. Turn the bag inside out and pull the handles up so they are showing. Using clear strapping tape, go around the open edges to secure the side and bottom. I add strapping tape to the other side as well just to make it look better. Put the child's name on the handle and label the front. Easy!

I write "Kindergarten Art Portfolio" but our second grade teacher writes "Second Grade at a Glance." I am sure you will come up with something clever. I have had parents make these with me at the beginning of the year at the Meet-N'-Greet. It's a great way to get them made ahead of time. They're sturdy and easy to carry. I store them in a copy machine paper box. If you have a student aide, filing art work is the perfect job for them. Hmmmmm, I wonder if I should be worried that no one signed up to be my aide this year...

I hope this helps someone! What do you use to store classwork treasures? Please leave a comment and let me know if this post has been helpful!! I think I'll go bake cookies...

Please follow me on Bloglovin'! Or Google Plus. Just please follow me somewhere!!!

11 comments:

  1. Oh so cute!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie! These portfolios have worked beautifully for me. Your blog is incredible!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea, where do you get your bags? i cant remember what store or stores have these with the handle as i usually am in costco and fred meyer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I get my bags at Save Mart. They're great about it and always give me a few extra. Thank you so much for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who says strapping tapes are only for heavy-duty tasks? I have a big roll of printed strapping and I think it might be really nice to use some of it on this project. Rest assured that the papers are well sealed from the sides. Thelma@Quality Strapping

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to use those grocery bags I've been saving! Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi LuAnne! I want to thank you for making a comment. It means a lot. I hope the portfolio helps keep things organized!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im hard pressed to find these types of bags.....as your Northern neighbour we don't have these is our grocery chains :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandy,
    I followed your directions and made these portfolios this year. Love them!! Camille

    ReplyDelete