Saturday, April 13, 2013

Q is for Quilt

Darn!  I wanted to show how to make a  paper quilt and went to my favorite source to buy the shelf paper and was very disappointed to find NOTHING but horrible colors.  Not one floral print to be found. ANYWHERE!! Instead, I had to buy paper but that means glue!! Not great with little people for this particular project. So...

I 'll show how to make the paper quilt but highly recommend that you go on-line and purchase shelf paper with the peel off adhesive so that you don't need glue. It makes this project 100% easier and you might return to my blog for other ideas!! There are gorgeous floral shelf paper designs on-line but I didn't want to wait!

I don't sew(I got a D in eighth grade sewing class-traumatic event)  but having made these paper quilts for many years, I can tell you that precision is important. Not exactly my middel name. Take your time in the prep and you will be much happier with the end result. Use a really good cutting board.

First, I went on-line and found a site with quilt patterns and choose one that I thought looked like fun.
Decide how big you want your quilt squares to be. I usually make mine 9 x 9 inches. The bigger the better for kinders, older kids can handle smaller and more complicated patterns. For the sample, I marked off 1.5 by 1.5 inch squares and then used a marking pen to outline the pattern I wanted and wrote which color/design would go in each shape. Run off as many copies as you need for the kids. I used two background colors for the sample, white and pink. 

Next, you need to cut all the pieces that will be needed. You can cut several layers at the same if you're careful. Exactness pays off. Put all the pieces on the table for the kids to use. I place mine in bowls and always model how to make the block before they start. If you are using shelf paper, show them how to peel off the backing. Fine motor skills are put to the test but once they get the hang of it , things progress quickly.

If you decide to go with paper, I dilute white glue and let them use a small brush. This is so hard with little kinders. Older kids can handle the challenge much better. Once each child has made a few blocks, mount them on a complimentary color and have fun putting your beautiful quilt together!


I used a border punch to make an eyelet type edge for the quilt. I'm at home and had to use small paper but at school we have large pieces of bulletin board paper(and lots of colors too) that work much better.
This is a great project for an art show and to go along with your shape lessons! There are many good books about quilting to read to the kids too. I hope you'll give this a try! Please leave a comment! I wrote this up really quickly. If I skipped a step, and you need help, let me know.

News flash!!! May 8th update-Hey! I am happy to report that I did this with my kinders last week and glue sticks work beautifully! The wrapping paper that is available is absolutely beautiful and the sky is the limit! Wow! Have fun!

KindergartenWorks




No comments:

Post a Comment