Friday, May 3, 2013

Five for Friday/Kinder-ese

Hello Five for Friday. I've been taking pictures all week but very few are linky worthy. Let's see what I can come up with...

 1. On my way to and from work I pass by this Osprey's nest. It has been so neat to watch them build it and then tend to their little ones. They have returned now for their second year! Terrible picture. Sorry!

 2. Stressful week for upper grade teachers with testing. I'm guilty of encouraging emotional eating and made them my first German chocolate cake.

 3. We have a local round up and rodeo in my community. Kindergarten has Cowboy Day to go along with all the hoopla that's pretty darn fun. We have a stick horse barrel race, watermelon seed spitting contest, roping, horse shoes (plastic, of course), gold digging and a big BBQ. I come dressed as the sheriff and the kids are decked out in cowboy gear (there are always a few cowpokes who should spend the day in the pokey). The rodeo queen even comes to meet us. There's a big line dance with first grade before we end the day around the campfire with s'mores! Here's one of our wanted posters. I burn the edges to make it look authentic!
I'm tired already. I think I'll mosey over to the 'fridge and look for my sidekicks, Ben and Jerry, AGAIN!!! Yehaw!!!!

4. I speak Kinder-ese.  Fluently, and, unfortunately for my family, I think it has become my primary language. I've been told by my sons that there's nothing so embarrassing as your mom arriving at your college dorm saying things like: "What's up, Buttercup?" I'm not proud of it. I have trained myself to not say bad words and I'm pretty sure there are people who would pay good money to hear me cuss. My sons in particular would have a field day!! But truly, and you know what I'm talking about, listen to a sample of one of my daily conversations:

"Hey, Teacher!"
"Hey, try that again, pumpkin."
"Hi Mrs. Tooty Tah! My name is not pumpkin!"
"I like that, but try again. My name is not teacher."
"How 'bout Queen Pretty?" (there is actually an adorable child who calls me this, and believe me, it's very generous. I'm in my 50's, for Pete's sake, and look just like my header picture, but I want to be called "Queen Pretty" forever!)
" Ha, ha. Try AGAIN!"
"Hi Mrs. Welchie."
"Close enough, I'll take it. What's up?"
"Could you please 'splain to the Commander, you know the one with the big keys..
"Do you mean the Janitor?"
"Yep, but  please stop bubbling in, tell that guy we need some 'anitizer for myself? Be zippy quick, would 'cha please, teacher? Hey, look, I weared my ant-on-a log-watch!"

Translation: "Hello Mrs. Welch. Would you please explain to the janitor (and please stop interrupting), that we need some hand sanitizer? Please hurry. Look, I wore my analog watch!"

So, frankly, it came as no surprise to me that, as I was driving my husband to work the other day, I explained to him that I needed to pull over because there was a speedy pants guy behind me. When we stopped, I looked over at him and he had his head in his hands. He was worried about me and felt I needed serious help with my kinderslang problem. When he climbed out of the car I rolled my window down and yelled as I drove away,"Tough toasties, Mr. Welchie!" Ha, take that smartie guy!

5. Smartie guy has pointed out that I don't post many academic things. I 'splained to him that there are much more talented packet-makers out there than the Queen Pretty. However, I thought I would show you one of the kids' finished sentence construction papers from my TPT packet. It has worked like a charm and they're quite the talented sentence builders now. The sentences are all mixed up and they must cut,  unscramble, place the word with the capital first, use spaces with a little spaceman that's on a tongue depressor, and make sure the word with  punctuation goes last. They can do this completely by themselves and it is the perfect seat work activity. They have to track while they read the finished product to me. Our sight word of the week was little and is high-lighted with a different font. The sentences build upon one another, increasing in difficulty each week. Nouns that are more difficult have rebuses to make it obvious.

This is a picture of a dowel with pool noodle "beads" that I use to demonstrate decomposing numbers. You simply slide on and off the number you are working on. The kids seem to like manipulating the "beads" to make equations. Nothing fancy but it's cheap and it works!

See ya!




6 comments:

  1. LOL at the Kinder-ese. I have trained myself to say certain things, like "Oh my goodness", that sound really funny outside of school. Oh well. :-)

    Erica
    Blooming In First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy,

    You make me laugh! I say What's up buttercup all the time!!!! My boys aren't old enough for the dorms so we will see how that works when they are. So glad I found you on Five for Friday!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so sweet to make a delicious cake for your fellow teachers!! :)

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your Wanted Posters! :) I am going to blog about this week in a different blog than the Five for Friday and I'll include more about Pioneer Days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kinder-ese...I speak that too! :) Your Wanted posters are so cute!

    Sarah
    A Sunny Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by.
    I love the pool noodle math manipulative. Cute!
    I'm a new follower.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete