Friday, May 17, 2013

Five for Friday

It's Five for Friday time! Thank you to Doodlebugs.

Five random things...

1. Snakes in the kindergarten yard, AGAIN! We live in a forested area where there are lots of snakes. One year I found two little kinder boys poking a baby rattlesnake around with a stick and just this Monday there was a very large, (and very dead) Gopher snake in the school driveway just outside our playground fence. I wish I could tell you that I'm one of those teachers that loves snakes and would have considered this a great learning opportunity. Sorry. I was relieved that one of our brave moms came to the rescue and picked it up for us. Kids were super interested. Me? Not so much! Do you think they noticed I was standing on the picnic table?

2. My kids are really enjoying learning about insects. Deanna Jump's unit, "Insects, Math and Literacy Fun" is the perfect addition to my lesson plans. Here's a picture of our insect hiding behind our (too large) labels. We had a directed art activity of this insect that I'll post when the kids are done painting them. Pretty cute so far!








I made a little entomologist to go with Deanna's cute song. We'll have the kids make their own entomologist and insect next week.





3. 1/2 Sized Me for end of the year (the original 1/2 Sized Me comes from Marilyn Burns, The Math Solution. It's an amazing book that I used constantly years ago when I taught 3rd grade. It's a great lesson in measurement for older kids). For graduation every year I have the kids take home a paper doll that's to be dressed in their future chosen profession. The family is supposed to help and may come and get paper and other supplies if needed. It's my all time favorite bulletin board! The paper doll in the picture is a U.S. Marshall! They are supposed to be holding something in each hand that goes along with the job. She wanted a rope and a gun. I just couldn't go there so we had an artistic disagreement. I suggested a flashlight. You can see how well it went over. Ha!

4. I speak Mess. Matter of fact, some would say it's my middle name! Messes just don't scare me and it's a good thing because this week I had some speedie quick students who needed to do something extra while the others were being assessed. They had done such a great job with their morning work that I allowed them to play quietly on the carpet. It seemed like within seconds they had taken out every animal and block (even the little unit blocks) and made a magnificent zoo. They were so excited I just couldn't stop them. We put that silly assessment down! Isn't it amazing?

5. Rafting season must be here (my husband runs a nonprofit rafting company).  I always know the season is here when I see Chacos on the porch more (and when I don't see my husband as much). The tell tale sign of a good summer is tan lines from these sandals.
I hope you have a nice weekend! I'd love a comment!



12 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy!
    Thank you for following me! :) Made my day! I love your end of the year paperdolls- and your little U.S. Marshall's strong opinions. :) Also LOVE the zoo! I have found that the kids are so much better putting things away for me if I just take a picture of it to save forever. I wish we had all the time in the world for that creative play!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun post to read. I love all the little projects your class is working on.
    Yikes about the snakes!

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we're busy alright! My husband keeps telling me gopher snakes are good. No thanks, I'll take the gophers! Thanks for your visits! I enjoy your blog!

      Delete
  3. I would be having a heart attack about snakes! I am with you on not letting messy things worry me too much :) That must be why we all teach Kindergarten! Hope you are having a nice weekend!
    Elizabeth
    Kickin’ it in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Snakes are the WORST!!!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Sandy! you visited me on my blog lightscamerateach.blogspot.com and here I am checking out yours. I LOVE your entomologist! How adorable is that? I'm also getting better at having messes around me. It used to scare me but now that I have 3 kids, I get less anxious about it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you teach art to k, 1st and second all in one day, you have to throw in the towel when it comes to messes. It helps the creative process, right? That's what I keep telling myself! Thank you for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those crafts. They came out so cute!

    I'm your newest follower, drop by. =)

    Just Wild About Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting! I love hearing from people! I'm on my way to your blog!

      Delete
  7. I think those snakes would have freaked me out too!! My kiddos would have probably loved it though! Happy to be your newest follower!

    Carrie
    Table Talk with C & C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you came to visit! Yeah, snakes are not my thing! Have a great week!

      Delete