Friday, May 24, 2013

Five for (Memorial Day) Friday

Helloooo Five for Friday. I'm joining in on Doodle Bug's linky party!
1. This week we created ants with different colors of play dough and pipe cleaners. Then we put them in a bug house. The perfect way to transport their ants home safely!
Here's a silly poem I wrote to go in the bug catcher with the ant:

Why does my teacher always say
I have ants in my pants at the end of the day?

Ants are insects, everyone knows,
And insects don't belong in anyone's clothes!

They're  little and buggy, like beetles and flies,
And all of them have at least two compound eyes.

And three pairs of legs that leave six little tracks,
And a head and an abdomen - and in between a thorax!

But my favorite thing is that when a
Bug wants to talk he uses his antenna!

So my teacher is wrong. There are no ants on me.
It's just that I'm busy, as busy as a bee!


2. Water, fish hooks and five year olds!?!?! What was I thinking?
We went fishing today at the most wonderful local trout farm. The kids had a blast and you should have heard the screams from the little ones who've never caught a fish! I'm as crazy about fishing as I am about snakes; when I screamed, it was for a whole different reason!! They slept all the way home. I took this picture right before I dozed off on the back seat!


3. I brought our Think It Over Chair home to fix up. Part of me thinks it needs to be a little uncomfortable and not cutsie, but I had new paint pens and wanted to play! This is what I ended up with.

Not impressed, I went out and found an adorable chair for $38. I didn't need to think that over! No way! We'll just have to live with the ugly one for 12 more days! I may even spend some time in that chair if this crowd doesn't settle down!

The rocking chair in the picture was my very first Think It Over Chair. You can imagine, they rocked like crazy when they were upset. Not a good idea (and way too much fun when you're thinking things over!)


4.  Last week I posted a picture of a magnificent zoo that the kids built while I was assessing. Well, there's a new trend in my class: Thematic Mess-making!

I put playdough out for my students to use to make sight words while I assessed the others. Once they were done with the sight word list, they could free play with the playdough.
I should have known: SUPER TEA PARTY WITH A MEGA-BAKERY!!! Our little corner play area was transformed into a Kindergartener's dream kitchen. It was amazing! I love this new phenomenon! They worked as a team and set a table with every available accessory we have! My report cards are never going to get completed. How can you make a little one leave that magic to come read sight words? They put on aprons to be waiters/waitresses and some girls got out the dress up gowns. They asked to use my "ask-3-before-you-ask-me" lantern for ambiance and even requested the special "handwriting" music (the only quiet music I own). Now it was too big for just them, so one of my girls wrote an invitation to our school secretaries and two of the most elegantly dressed young ladies delivered the invitation while the rest "organized" the staff. They had a greeter at the gate and another at the door and two of my boys were ready to pull out chairs. After the guests sat down, they were handed plates of playdough cookies and tea cups (and tea cups and tea cups and tea cups) full of water. There was water EVERYWHERE! It was magical. We don't do enough of this sort of creative play.

5. I got a cute little note today. I love how she misspelled Mrs. W.

Have a great long weekend everybody!

Miss is Double You!

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. She is a sweetie! Her journal is the cutest thing you've ever seen!

      Delete
  2. Sandy, I want to be a student in your class! I'm only about 37 years too old to qualify for enrolment. But I'm only 5'2'', so maybe I could sneak in and nobody would notice me in the Think It Over Chair.
    :-)
    Love visiting!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd love to have you but you don't want to sit in the Think It Over Chair! Thank you for your visits! they mean so much!

      Delete
  3. My daughter would love the bug box craft. I'm sure it was a hit with your kids. Also you field trip sounds like a fun idea. I'm also looking for good field trip ideas.
    Good luck cleaning out at the end of the year. I know it's hard to let go.
    Have a great weekend.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, that field trip is a blast but you want lots of parents who like to fish. I had two moms try their best but we had to have one of our daddies run back and forth between two groups. It was crazy! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy,
    So much to comment on! I smiled all the way through your post! The field trip picture is just perfect with those little feet sticking out. I adored the insect poem! LOVE the think it over chair. Yours is awesome. Do not change it! And... from now on, you should just give in and be Miss is Double U. :) Isn't it funny how they figure things out? When my little girl wrote "knowbutty" I just thought WOW! :) OK-last thing- Love your creative kids and their bakery! Don't you wish that were Kindergarten again sometimes?
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn! Thank you for visiting! I love your blog and look for your posts every week! I just commented on another blog about my realizing lately (after the two amazing free play creations) that unstructured play is crucial. Sad we have to push so hard academically. I loved the knowbutty spelling! Hahaha!
      Have a great weekend!!

      Delete
  6. Just love your post! Your class looks like a great place to be!
    Julie
    Ms. Shope's Class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Whoops I totally misspelled a word! Thank you so much for visiting! I hope my kids have fun, I sure do! i have the best job in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are very brave to take a group of kinders fishing! What a great experience for them! I applaud you!
    Justin Knight- Writing Pad Dad
    Writing Pad Dad Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandy- I tried to find your email address, but couldn't locate it on your blog. I would love to feature you and your blog on my "Blogs To Take A Shine To" series. If you are interested, please email me and I will send you the details! My email address is WritingPadDad@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandy,
    Your note is precious!
    Looks like a fabulous week!
    I am so glad you stopped by my blog and commented!
    I have know idea how I was not following you already, but I am now!
    Yay!
    Happy Memorial Day weekend!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That note will be on my wall forever! She's hilarious, by the way! Thank you for the visit!

      Delete