Friday, May 10, 2013

Five for Friday

What a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!  Here goes my Fried for Friday...whoops, I mean FIVE for Friday! Thank you Doodle Bugs!

1. Mother's Day gifts are done and hopefully sitting somewhere safe until Sunday.

Here are some flowers bright and bold,
Held by the hand you love to hold.
Someday the flowers will disappear,
But this little hand will always be near.


2. We had Cowboy Day today and I hope my little cowpokes had fun. We got to have both the reigning and newly appointed rodeo queens come visit and show us how to rope. They were admirable young ladies and our kids were gaga over them. Here's a picture of our campfire(whoop-dee-doo) and some art.
 We dug for gold, roped, barrel raced, line danced, had a watermelon spitting contest and ate s'mores to end in complete exhaustion. There was even some crying but once I got a grip, everything was fine.


My buddy Beth was having a very civilized Mother's Day Tea next door. Check out her food, decor and cute little purple apron. She was playing chamber music while she put beautiful bouquets on each table. I wanted to be her.


Meanwhile I had kids burping (too much rootbeer) and spitting(watermelon seeds) and proud of it. Now look at my healthy (NOT) BBQ food and my burly Sheriff Welch look. Yes, those are coffee grounds on my face. I kept getting caffeine jolts all morning. It's a good thing 'cuz I had to chase down some rascally varmits. That roping lesson came in handy...

Thank goodness they have Beth for first grade after kindergarten with me!


3. In addition to the little ceramic hands, we also grew morning glories in clay pots for Mother's Day. I have to have a poem with everything, don't 'cha know...

Morning Glories are my favorite flower,
They rise and shine at an early hour.
They like to climb and cling to things,
And they're ready for whatever the daylight brings.
They're bright and happy and sometimes blue,
They grow so fast it can't be true.
Why do I like them? Can't you see?
Morning glories are just like me!

4. We had a little guy bouncing off the walls. I leaned over and quietly (or so I thought) said to my T.A., "Can you imagine him with caffeine?"
As he bounced past me, the child turned and said, "Who's Caffeine?"

5. Happy Mother's Day to all teachers! Our students may not belong to us but we love them as if they are our very own. Thanks to you for stepping in when mom can't be there with hugs and words of encouragement. I think you're incredible.

Happy Mother's Day to my own sweet mom who turns 80 in July. She is amazing and responsible for my very happy childhood (I have 7 siblings-it was a blast)! We lost my Dad 2 years ago and she now keeps herself busy sewing dolls for children in cancer wards. Each doll arrives with a sack full of  beautiful clothes and lots of love! Pretty wonderful.

This cowgirl is plumb tuckered out. Happy trials!


7 comments:

  1. You guys did some great mother's day project! I will definitely have to keep these in mind for next year! I love that one of your coworkers even had a tea for the mothers...how sweet! Glad I found you through 5 for Friday!

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting! Yes, we had quite the Friday! Come back to see what's up for Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please send me your email address so I can send you the Insects sheets.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog looks awesome. Love the banner and the fun activities from your class! We just started following you :) Joe and Allie Teach

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited that I'm getting some comments! Yahoo! I hope you'll be back. I'm on my way to your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute contrast with your cowboy day and your friend's tea. And I love reading about your sweet mom's good works.
    Have a great weekend.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh those dolls are just the sweetest thing, with all their clothes to match. It's so lovely that she makes those.
    It's always so nice to see your comment on my blog...thank you!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop 

    ReplyDelete