Saturday, June 22, 2013

Five for Friday

Late to the party again! My Five for Friday has become Save It for Saturday. I think I've been busier now that I'm on vacation than while I'm in school! Thanks again to Doodle Bugs !
My post this week has only a little to do with school and is truly random!

1. I spent this week cleaning my classroom. It looked like a bomb had gone off! My style of cleaning is to pull everything out and start over. It's never pretty and at one point our secretary came through and couldn't figure out where my voice was coming from! You get the picture.

 I went through files that haven't been cleaned in 10 years. Seriously. The good news is I found lots of great projects to update that I had completely forgotten about. The bad news is that some of the things I found show just how old I am. There were ditto pages!!!! For the youngsters out there, those were the pages we hand cranked on a machine with carbon paper-what a mess! My right arm was much more buff back then.

1. I always have a mini handwriting lesson for the parents at the Meet N' Greet. I'm sure you've all done this. I send them home with a practice activity and all the supplies and knowledge they need to help their child write their name properly. Hope springs eternal.

Anyway, look what I found in my dusty, old files. It's all yellow from age but you get the idea.
We cut and taped clear acetate to tag-this was a ton of work. Next, I drew green, yellow and red lines on sentence strip paper to emphasize where to start and stop. Each child's name was printed on the sentence strip with a green dot to show where to begin. All they had to do was slip it into the acetate pocket and write on top of it with a marker. I even sent home a little sponge to wipe it clean! When they were ready they could try without the sentence strip under the acetate (I always gave them a plain sentence strip to slip under the plastic for line guidance).

Now, you can buy the sentence strips with the colored lines, laminate it with their name and they just trace on top and erase. The advantage to the acetate is that they can practice without the name tag underneath. I think I'll do this for my newbies this year. An old idea reborn!

2. I found more volunteers in my yard. This one is hard to miss; it's HUGE!
3. My yard looks awful right now and will finally be receiving a little TLC from this gardener! Here is a before shot so that next week I can show you a new-and-improved picture. Pressure is on! It's the dearest home, really. It's over 100 years old and full of charm. I am so lucky.


4. My neighbor brought over some hydrangeas. Aren't they amazing?



4 comments:

  1. Oh what a huge project to clean your classroom! I just got done with school on Thursday. I know I need to desperately reorganize my files but I didn't have the heart to start just yet. I would have never thought to have a finger nail salon! What an adorable idea. Haha

    Enjoy your summer.


    Krystyn
    Ms Richards's Musings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That fingernail idea is hilarious! I wish I would have been brave enough and let them do my nails. Can you imagine? It would have been the BEST, I just know it! Maybe they're still doing it today. See ya, I'm on my way to check. If they're still open for business, I'm doing my nails for sure and posting the picture!

      Delete
  2. Sandy,
    I always look so forward to your posts! I can so relate to the secretary not being able to find you in the "cleaning process." I love, love, love the name writing idea- and you are right. Don't you just think, "This year everyone will practice this at home and be writing their name before they even COME to school! HA HA! I guess that is what keeps us going! Hope! :)
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helloooooo Sweet Carolyn! The truth is I still have more to do in that silly classroom! I snuck out without ordering supplies because I was taking my life into my own hands opening that art paper closet... they'll have to hunt me down and hold me hostage before I go back in there! I'm headed over to your blog!

    ReplyDelete