Sunday, June 2, 2013

Funny Stories Linky

Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

I'm joining in on my blogging buddy Carolyn's linky party over at Holding Hands and Staying Together called Favorite School Stories. You're supposed to tell a story about something funny your students have said or done. We all have plenty of those! Here's mine:  

I’ve been called a lot of funny names in my career, Mrs. Belch, Grandma, Mrs. Welchie, Mrs. Tooty Ta, and Teacher but I never thought I’d be referred to as a reptile. 

It happened like this…

A few years ago I had a cute Hispanic child in my class named Miguel. He barely spoke any English. Communicating with him was always tough because I never really knew if he understood what I had said and I rarely understood what he had said. Fortunately, he had a bilingual classmate who translated for him. One day, during circle I thought Miguel was paying particularly close attention to my words but actually, he was paying particularly close attention to my neck.

During calendar time Miguel asked something in Spanish. His translator explained that Miguel wanted to look at my neck. Wondering what in world was going on I said, "Sure, go ahead." He stood up and, in front everyone, came up to look more closely at my neck. He was very serious and we were all curious.  Finally he reached out and carefully touched my neck with his hand. In a hushed voice he said, "Tortuga." I looked at his translator for help. He was shaking his head no, almost in a fearful way. Finally, after much effort to assure him everything would be fine, he said, "Mrs. Welch, he thinks your neck looks like a turtle." 

My look of horror and then uncontrollable laughter surprised my class. From the mouths of babes! I'm going to invest in more collared shirts. And neck cream.

When you're done be sure to check some other posts on Carolyn's blog. She has lots of fun things going on in her classroom and writes with a great sense of humor!

7 comments:

  1. SANDY! That made my day! That poor little translator having to break the news! :) Thank you for that laugh and for linking up with me. <3 Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carolyn! Your linky is fun and I'm so glad you decided to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so funny, but I am sure not at the time! We all have so many funny stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robyn! Thanks for stopping by! I think someone could write a great book with teacher stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi Sandy.
      I thought I might pass this link along to you, just like another blogger did for me.
      It shows you how to change your email setting so that if you leave a comment, that person can directly email you back.
      It is: http://teachingwithloveandlaughter.blogspot.com/2012/07/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html
      Have a good evening.

      Delete
  6. Amanda, thank you so much. I'm ashamed to tell you how bad I am on the computer. I had my husband read your comment. This isn't the first time I've received a remark about my e-mail. He assured me that he would help me soon. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I need to take some tutorials!!!

    ReplyDelete