Friday, June 7, 2013

Five for Friday/Graduation

Yeah! Five for Friday!! I love this weekly linky where I get to name five random things from my week. Thank you Doodle Bugs for hosting.
And what a week it was...

My Kinders graduated today!! I'm exhausted so I hope this post makes sense...

1. We had been practicing our graduation songs for days and my Kinders had been singing so loudly that I spent all week explaining to them that screaming is not the same as singing. So, of course, at the ceremony today you could barely hear them; they froze up like deer in the headlights. As a matter of fact, someone in the audience kept yelling: "Louder!!" I didn't want to become THAT teacher - you know who I'm talking about - the teacher who sings louder than the kids - so I just smiled and we muddled through. Well, they are so dang cute no matter what they do, they still got a great ovation from the audience - of course it was a pretty easy crowd.

Then I blubbered my way through this poem I wrote:
Well we've come to graduation, how fast the year has gone,
It's time to take your sneakers off and put your flip-flops on.
It's time to put your pencil down and remove your thinking cap;
It's time for you to take a trip, and for me to take a nap.
But before we break for summer and out the door I shove you;
I want to take a moment, to tell you each how much I love you.
Annie I love your beautiful eyes, and Kenny I love your giggle;
And Michael I love the way you wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
David I love the way you think and Peter the way you care.
And Christy what I would give, if I could have your hair
Sally I love your artistry and Kathy the way you sing;
And Laura I am forever thankful that you found the diamond from my ring*.
Brian I love your tenderness; And Katie I love your heart.
And Taylor I love the way you are so very smart.
Natalie I love your sweetness, Betty I love your compassion;
And Crsytal please don't ever, lose your sense of fashion.
And Joey, Joey, Joey, how much I love your zest!
I cannot wait for next year (but first I need some rest).
And all of you together! Well, you make me grin from ear to ear.
We've had a fun adventure; it's been a wonderful year.
But now it's on to first grade; and then grades two and three.
And lickity split, before you know it, you'll be as old as me.
You'll be doctors and farmers and fancy cake bakers.
You'll be pilots and poets and computer game makers.
You'll be rock stars covered with shiny jewels, you'll be fireman covered in cinders.
But whatever you are, for the rest of your life, you'll always be my Kinders.
So, my wishes for you come in one last little burst.
I hope you always remember to put other people first.
I hope you always remember to sing and to dance.
And I hope you never find frogs in your underpants.
That last line was a huge hit!

*True story!

2. Their diplomas came with a pair of those big, black, nerdy-looking eyeglasses and my Kinders were swift to put them on so they could look extra smart. It made a great group photo opportunity. We had also taken pictures of them with their caps and glasses on and we hung them above the "Congratulations!" banner. The first grade class joined us for one song and then high-fived our kinders as they were lead out of the gym by their soon to be first grade teacher. There was a little reception in our classroom afterwards where their parents collected art and took their portfolios home. The families pitched in with some tasty treats for the occasion.
3. Here are the bulletin boards that were up in our classroom for graduation:

I wish I could show you these cute sunflowers with their pictures in the middle. If you look closely, you can see they encircled their portrait with real sunflower seeds.
4. We had our school art show this week. I teach art in the afternoon and absolutely love watching what the kids create. I wish you could see the apple bowls more clearly. They were beautiful!
5. My jasmine is blooming on the side of our cottage. It smells heavenly.!
That's it for me! I have a busy weekend. School isn't out until Tuesday and I don't know what I was thinking, but we have Pirate Day on Monday and Surf's Up Day on Tuesday. ARGHHHHHHH!! and Hang Loose!

I love your comments!

7 comments:

  1. Sandy,
    That poem is the sweetest thing I have ever seen. Not kidding! No wonder you had a hard time getting through it. Oh I love it. LOVE your bulletin boards and jasmine, too. I bet that smells heavenly. Our kids go through the 18th and we go to the 21... I am as tired as you are. I totally get it. Oh- and I also relate to the screaming/freezing on the singing thing! Never a dull moment...
    Loved your post!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carolyn! Thanks for stopping by! I enjoyed hearing about your little family this week. How exciting to have a wedding going on!! As always, I appreciate the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy I LOVE your "When I Grow Up" board. I'll have to try & remember that idea about having them decorate the paper person to match the job.

    Stephanie
    PolkaDotPalace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the 1/2 sized me project! They are really fun and the whole family is invited to help out. They are supposed to be holding two items they would use while doing that particular job. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. Very sweet poem. I'm sure your families will appreciated it. The art work looks lovely.
    Have a great week.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy that poem is just the most adorable thing I've heard! What a lot of effort and creativity you put into your little kiddos day to make it magical and memorable for them. Love your posts!

    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susanna! Thank you for your comment! Today was our last day and it always takes my breath away when the kids walk out that door. Hey, I have a question about your graphics and whether you've ever illustrated any books? I will e-mail you soon!

    ReplyDelete