Thursday, July 18, 2013

Home and Throwback Thursday

I'm back from Vegas and to get here, I had to fly.  I'm not a good flyer and when we hit turbulence outside of Las Vegas I went into white-knuckle mode. I had a death grip on the arm rests and my eyes were clenched shut when the stewardess came by and asked if I'd like some peanuts or pretzels. I opened one eye, glanced up and said "BOTH!" I'm a stress eater from way back. All was well , and we landed without incident.

One more quick thing... while I was waiting for my airport shuttle, a stretch limo pulled up and all sorts of camera and recording people with fancy pants equipment started swarming around. A young lady ran up to me and explained that I might be in the background of whatever they were about to film and that I needed to sign a waiver. I signed away! My film debut and I'm wearing a stained shirt! Just my luck!

Anyway, she said the Bachelorette was supposedly in the limo!! Just as things were about to happen, my shuttle showed up and the driver flagged me over. He didn't look like the kind of guy who would understand so I missed my big chance. Too bad, I had on my I Teach K shirt, ready to REPRESENT!!

I'm really, really tired but I wanted to contribute to Throwback Thursday. Thank you First Grade Parade for hosting!

At the conference, Shari Sloane had a session on teaching children how to be scientists. We want them to learn how to observe, predict, make a hypothesis, test the hypothesis and record findings. It was a really informative session with lots of fun experiments for the kids to try. Soooooo,

A while back I made a little entomologist with my class and thought this might be fun for others to do when introducing science skills to kidlets this fall. I think I'll include what they would like to learn about in science this year, all typed up on a little paper clipboard instead of the ant-as seen in the picture.


We were learning about ants/ insects at the time! Here's the poem that I wrote to go with it:

Why does my teacher always say
I have ants in my pants at the end of the day?

Ants are insects, everyone knows,
And insects don't belong in anyone's clothes!

They're  little and buggy, like beetles and flies,
And all of them have two compound eyes.

And three pairs of legs that leave six little tracks,
And a head and an abdomen - and in between a thorax!

But my favorite thing is that when-a
Bug wants to talk he uses his antenna!

So my teacher is wrong. There are no ants on me.
It's just that I'm busy, as busy as a bee!

I hope this little throwback helps someone! Now, my clawfoot tub is calling my name! Goodnight everyone! 

Please follow me on Bloglovin'!



2 comments:

  1. Glad you're home and well! I am also not a fun flyer. I'm always so tired at the end of a flight because keeping the plane in the air through my sheer will power is exhausting, you know? :-)
    I admire you so much for doing it anyway though!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Isn't it exhausting? Happy to have my feet on the ground!!!!

    ReplyDelete