Thursday, July 4, 2013

Throwback Thursday Quilt

It's time for Throwback Thursday! Thank you Cara for hosting!
I've mentioned before that I'm fairly new to blogging and my posts have been more artsy than academic. I'm so impressed with all the wonderful things being produced by everyone and feel like the best contribution I can make is artistic.

So, I'm posting a lesson on how to make a paper quilt. It's really fun and the kids are always so excited when it all comes together. You'll be exhausted but they'll be happy, isn't that the way it supposed to be? Nah, it's not that bad!! I reread the post and I made it sound like it's very important to use shelf paper with adhesive on the back. Actually, I have made several quilts with the kids since then and can tell you that any paper works beautifully. There's careful prep to do but it's worth it! You may come lookin' for me when you're covered in glue and itsy bitsy pieces of paper...I hope this helps someone!!

Q is for Quilt

Darn!  I wanted to show how to make a  paper quilt and went to my favorite source to buy the shelf paper and was very disappointed to find NOTHING but horrible colors.  Not one floral print to be found. ANYWHERE!! Instead, I had to buy paper but that means glue!! Not great with little people for this particular project. So...

I 'll show how to make the paper quilt but highly recommend that you go on-line and purchase shelf paper with the peel off adhesive so that you don't need glue. It makes this project 100% easier and you might return to my blog for other ideas!! There are gorgeous floral shelf paper designs on-line but I didn't want to wait!

I don't sew(I got a D in eighth grade sewing class-traumatic event)  but having made these paper quilts for many years, I can tell you that precision is important. Not exactly my middel name. Take your time in the prep and you will be much happier with the end result. Use a really good cutting board.

First, I went on-line and found a site with quilt patterns and choose one that I thought looked like fun.
Decide how big you want your quilt squares to be. I usually make mine 9 x 9 inches. The bigger the better for kinders, older kids can handle smaller and more complicated patterns. For the sample, I marked off 1.5 by 1.5 inch squares and then used a marking pen to outline the pattern I wanted and wrote which color/design would go in each shape. Run off as many copies as you need for the kids. I used two background colors for the sample, white and pink. 

Next, you need to cut all the pieces that will be needed. You can cut several layers at the same if you're careful. Exactness pays off. Put all the pieces on the table for the kids to use. I place mine in bowls and always model how to make the block before they start. If you are using shelf paper, show them how to peel off the backing. Fine motor skills are put to the test but once they get the hang of it , things progress quickly.

If you decide to go with paper, I dilute white glue and let them use a small brush. This is so hard with little kinders. Older kids can handle the challenge much better. Once each child has made a few blocks, mount them on a complimentary color and have fun putting your beautiful quilt together!


I used a border punch to make an eyelet type edge for the quilt. I'm at home and had to use small paper but at school we have large pieces of bulletin board paper(and lots of colors too) that work much better.
This is a great project for an art show and to go along with your shape lessons! There are many good books about quilting to read to the kids too. I hope you'll give this a try!  I wrote this up really quickly. If I skipped a step, and you need help, let me know.

News flash!!! May 8th update-Hey! I am happy to report that I did this with my kinders last week and glue sticks work beautifully! The wrapping paper that is available is absolutely beautiful and the sky is the limit! Wow! Have fun! Please let me know if you do this! I'd love to hear from you!
Please follow me on Bloglovin'.







7 comments:

  1. Sandy, I love this! It reminds me of way back in my early days of Kindergarten we always made a quilt together after reading The Pumpkin Blanket in the fall. We used material and fabric crayons and I just glued the edges together. Thanks for the fond memory!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susanna! I started this project because I can't sew but love quilts! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Love this! I am a brand new follower!. Your blog is adorable. I love kindergarten blogs! They give me great ideas for my class.
    Preschool Wonders

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to meet you! In California we have a new program for our younger kids called Transitional Kindergarten. It's a lot like our old kindergarten used to be and involves the younger kids taking two years of k instead of one. Anywho, the curriculum is interesting and I will be looking for things for the younger child and can't wait to visit your blog often. Thank you so much for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful quilt making! This would have been perfect when I used to teach 5th grade and we had Colonial Day stations. I still think I can incorporate this with my second graders, though. Super!

    All the best--
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy,
    This is precious! What a fun idea for shapes- and for cooperative learning! When I see this, I can't believe you aren't a quilter! You need to send this post to your 8th grade sewing teacher! :)
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete