Thursday, July 11, 2013

Throwback Thursday/money reward system

It's time for Throwback Thursday! My throwbacks are becoming sort of iffy. I don't have a lot in my archives because I'm new to this blogging thing!
Here's an old post about a money reward system. Now, I realize that the common core doesn't have money in kindergarten but I plan on exposing them plenty with this and some other activities. Watch out for fraud!

Sunday, January 13, 2013


Bank of Kindergarten

We've been using a really cute behavior chart with clips moving up and down accordingly. I saw it somewhere on a blog, but don't remember where. Thank you to the clever person that came up with it.

Anyway... I occasionally change things up a bit to keep the kidlets interested. A very dear friend, now retired, gave me yet another way to motivate good behavior while also teaching them about coin names and values.

Find some baby food jars and use paint pens to write first names on them. Make sure the jars have lids to keep the "banks" secure from thieves - yes, it happens!

I always explain that I'm a teacher and I get paid for doing a good job. If I don't do my job, I don't get paid. It's the whole behavior/consequence discussion that we have all the time. They totally get it.

Next, I let them know that I will be paying them for doing their job, which is to be a good student and classmate. Their jar is their bank. I immediately begin passing out pennies for good behavior. They respond quickly and we're off! I have bowls of pennies for my parent volunteers, yard duty - everyone! We give out pennies for all sorts of things: being kind, sitting still, doing good work, cleaning up their space, etc. Extra pennies for being quiet.

On the flip side, if they are not following our class rules or if they are keeping others from learning, they may have to pay me some of their hard earned cash.

After they earn their first five pennies they may go to the "Bank of Kindergarten" and trade them in for a nickel. Once they earn another five pennies they may trade those in for another nickel or include their nickel and exchange them for a dime. You get the idea. Eventually they will have twenty-five cents to trade in for a quarter at which point they may go shopping at the "Class Store".

About the "Bank of Kindergarten"... I usually have a few children that are great with money and who can handle being our banker. However, this year I am inviting last year's banker back. He was nothing sort of amazing - he could make change so quickly in his head! I was impressed. Anyway, he will arrive during journal time, put on his banker's visor and put out the "Bank is Now Open" sign. He invites quiet kids over one or two at a time to pour out their jar. The kids must count the coins out and place them in his hands. He has been trained to ask which coin they think they should receive and helps them if necessary. I am nearby and can step in if needed. They learn coin names and values very quickly.

A note about fraud: some of the kids are wise enough to sneak in money from home. It's not hard to tell who is doing this because you'll notice three quarters suddenly appear in their jar. It is helpful to address this at the very beginning, but I have been doing this for years and it never fails to happen.

Another problem: the jars are made of glass and can break. We have carpets so it's not much of an issue for me. There may be a better option.

Have fun! I go to the bank and get rolls of coins and add it to my own change jar so I am never caught short. If they are going back to the bank enough you'll get your pennies back for circulation.

I forgot to mention that there's a free-for-all if the money gets spilled onto the floor. After I pull everybody off of me (I dive first) we figure out who the money belongs to and settle back down. You might be wiser and have a predetermined policy should this occur in your classroom!

See ya! I love your comments!

Oh, and please follow me on Bloglovin'!





6 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy! I was on now- and your post just came up! YAY. Ok- I LOVE that idea. It would be so great for them to learn the value of pennies to nickels... Thanks for the tips on fraud. They are clever little things, aren't they??? How did you write those names on the jars so neatly? Oh I forget for a second you are SO awesome at art. I may need to ship my jars out to you with a list of names and hire you... ha ha
    Thanks for the great idea!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Yes, money speaks! This system works really well. I don't usually do this until Feb, after president's b-days. It's the perfect time to look at the coins, etc. Thanks for visiting, my friend!

      Delete
  2. I just love the picture of you walking around adding or removing coins! Talk about a direct life lesson! lol I've done a similar thing, but I've used little pom poms instead because in Canada we don't have pennies anymore!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I like pom poms better! You should see how fast I pass out penny's when they're behaving! I'm just as fast to take it back when they're not! Best practice-catch them when they're being good! Thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Interesting concept! Thanks so much for sharing this idea!

    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah! Yep, it's one more way to motivate but you really have to have a stocked treasure chest! Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete