Thursday, August 8, 2013

Kindness


This has been one of my favorite sayings for a very long time. In fact, I had no idea where it came from until Carolyn from Holding Hands and Sticking Together put it in a recent post. I believe in it, and if there is one thing I hope I've taught all the children in my life, it is this sentiment. So...

We have the most wonderfully cozy bookstore in our small town. I love to spend hours there, sitting on the floor reading all the children's books. I think they don't have a cozy chair for me on purpose because they know I would become a permanent fixture! 
On one of my recent visits I found the sweetest book that I have to share with you: "Because Amelia Smiled", written by David Ezra Stein. It's a story that begins with a child's sweet smile that inspires kindness and love to spread around the world and then back. It teaches that we are all connected and even the smallest acts of kindness can touch many lives, even people we've never met. What an important lesson for our children! I love this book and can't recommend it enough. 

An extra plus is the wonderful geography lesson the books provides as the kind events travel around the world. I'm going to have our world map handy as we follow the story.

I love the quote that they have on the back part of the jacket from Martin Luther King: "We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly."

Check this book out! I bet you'll love it!

I've been in my class working to get my bulletin boards up and ready for my kid's artwork. I'm close but they aren't ready to share yet! 

Also for those of you who know about my apron- that should be ready soon too, please be patient.  I have learned so much in this process and I'm trying hard to provide a quality product! I'm super excited about it and can hardly wait to share it with everyone!! Hang in there!

I love the quote below and really thought about how much I want to protect my student's childhood playfulness as we push those common core standards! I could spend hours on Pinterest looking at all the brilliant ways to teach our little ones and keep it fun. Thanks to all of you for the inspiration!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy! I love the Let Them Be Little sign, and this is actually posted in my room! The reason : it is also a song, and that song is what I've used for the last 9 years in my end-of-year dvd that I make for all the parents which shows a slideshow of photos from our year. (If you don't know the song, just look it up on itunes - played with the slideshow it's ALWAYS a tear-jerker for parents (and me too!). Feel free to borrow the idea! I showed a teeny bit of the song in the video clip here if you missed it the first time:

    http://whimsyworkshop.blogspot.ca/2013/06/5-for-friday-watch-out-for-bossy-e.html

    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susanna thank you for always commenting! You make my day. If it weren't for you, Carolyn and Amanda ... :) I listened to the song. How sweet, and I bet it does make everyone sentimental. I was told the other day that I would have to get rid of the "fun" stuff because of common core!!! Not likely and I think teachers can make it loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure to comment on your posts Sandy - I look forward to them! And never take away the fun stuff (I'm sure you wouldn't) - I honestly can't imagine anyone telling me to do that. Teachers around here would be outraged at such a comment! :-)

      Susanna

      Delete