Monday, November 11, 2013

Made It Monday

I'm linking up for Monday Made It! Actually, I made it yesterday, took the post down, and now I'm putting it back up!

You see, these little books I'm going to share with you aren't mine and I have no idea who they belong to. I've spent the day looking through old notes and searching on the internet to find the owners. I learned how to make them probably close to 15 or twenty years ago. I can't remember if it was at a workshop or from old team mates from way back. So, if you happen to know who these books belong to, please, oh please let me know. I have loved them for years and nothing would make me happier than to thank the rightful owners and give proper credit.

Before I share the books, I'd like to share a toast (to go with milk, of course) that we begin teaching our kinders at the beginning of November in preparation for our Feast. I have no idea where this came from either... Oh dear...

There are good ships
And wood ships
And ship that sail the sea
But the best ships
Are friendships
And may ours always be.

Sweet, huh?! I love it dearly and say it at my own family Thanksgiving every year!

On to the books.

The first book is a pop up version.
The very mention of a pop up book frightens me. If you've ever made one you know they are a pain in the patootie  but the kids love them. I can't believe I used to make class sets of these. With 28 kids I seriously doubt I'll be making these up this year. But maybe you can!

Here's the little poem, written by an unknown author (oh, dear), that the kids love (it's also a great opportunity to teach the word no!).

November
No green grass
No blue skies
No bare feet going by
No birds
No bees
No leaves on trees
November

This book has 6 pages, not including the cover.

Fold the paper you are using for pages in half and cut 2 equal slits on the fold. Poke out paper and crease the pop up:
Glue the backs together to make a book.
After you have glued all 6 pages, add a front/back cover. Press under a heavy book.

Now the fun begins!
All the art that goes into this book is very simply done. Small children can handle it without a problem. I used to hand print the words on each page (I know, crazy huh?) but I think one of you smartie computer people could figure a better way!

The first page is a small rectangle of green construction paper. The kids cut horizonal slits so that it has grass blades. Glue on to the pop up.
"No blue sky" is a blue rectangle with a stretched out cotton ball for a cloud. I didn't have a cotton ball so I used something I found at home.
"No bare feet going by" is really sort of fun. Make a fist and dip the lower side into flesh colored paint and press onto a small piece of tag or construction paper. Dip your pointer finger into the paint and make a big toe print. Use your pinky finger for the others. Cute!!
"No birds" is cutting a silly shape out for the body, add wings, beak legs and fun embellishment to give it personality.
For "No bees," cut and glue a flower to the pop up. Make a bee with black strips, wax paper wings, and antennae. Glue on top of flower.
And finally, "No leaves on trees," cut and glue a tree trunk to the pop up and glue a variety of fall leaves on the ground around the trunk.
For "November" make a little sign that says November to glue onto the pop up!
Voila! 
November!

Ok. So that's a labor intensive book, I know, but so cute! 

I'm Thankful Book:

The second book is much easier. I called my old 2nd grade teaching partner and had her refresh my memory on how we used to teach the kids to make it. I've done it with first and second grade with lots of success. However, I've never done it with kinders but think they could do it in small groups with a parent volunteer.

And Advil.  :)

Here's what it looks like completed (Whoops! the word "For" isn't supposed to be in the title):
It's a layered book and can actually be fairly easy to prep. 

The cover has an oval that needs to be cut out. She demonstrated how to poke the scissors into the middle and cut around the edges. The older kids did just fine with this.

Here's what it looks like inside (add the word "for"):
Here's what my partner reminded me:
She demonstrated how to make the book and then let the kids do it on their own. 
All the teacher example pages were left up on the blackboard in order for easy reference.
The kids had to write the words on the pages themselves.
They have to be careful to make sure the pictures and words were low enough on the page (that's so they don't show on the page before).
They have to trace and cut carefully so the pages fit together properly.

She made piles of each color, precut in strips to fit the book. The kids would come and get one color at a time with a pattern. Next, they would trace the template (pattern made from tag), cut, decorate and write the words on the page. Moving on to the next page,  they fit them all together and placed them into the folded cover.

Really, it sounds more involved than it is. The kids love them and so do we. She told me the most successful book she ever made with the kids was when we had grandparents visiting and used it as a project to do with them. Smart woman!

Here's the cover:

Here's the paper layered and another way you can hand it to the kids. The patterns are pre-traced.
The green strips are 1 1/2 inches tall by 8 1/2 inches tall
Blue: 2 1/2 inches by 8 1/2 inches
Brown: 3 1/2 inches tall by 8 1/2 inches 
 Purple: 4 1/2 inches by 8 1/2 inches 
Yellow: 4 3/4 inches by 8 1/2 inches
The rainbow can be tricky. Have the kids draw the lines in pencil (onto the white paper with the yellow laying down) first. They will draw the clouds and portrait after they draw the rainbow, making sure to keep them below the yellow paper so that it doesn't show through.
Back page: 5 1/2 inches by 8 1/2 inches
Again, this sounds so involved but I hope you'll make one of your own to see how easy it really is. Honest. I'm not kidding. Really.

I hope I don't receive hate mail.   :)

I'm amazed if you stuck with me. This is hecka long!

I'd love to hear from you!





5 comments:

  1. I LOVE your toast- and... those books! I know they take so much time and patience, but they really are a keepsake for the kids! So sweet! Thank you for sharing them!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy! We make pop up books the same way - only it's usually a little animal stuck on there, depending on what we're studying. Also, I'm a very mean teacher who makes them write a bunch of "research" facts on each page as well, since mine are older. But they still love it to bits! If I'm lucky I'll have a volunteer mom make the booklets up for me ahead of time. You thankful book is just gorgeous and would be such a keepsake for them!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helloooooo Susanna! I think it's sort of funny that I'm not making these this year! but telling everyone else to... I have 9 days to get the Feast "stuff" done and report cards too. Pop up books are soooo NOT in my near future! It's great hearing from you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete