Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Christmas Questionnaire

I'm so excited to link up with Fabulous in First for a little get-to-know-you linky. I love reading everyone's answers!

Hot chocolate or egg NOT!!!

I know it's supposed to be egg nog. That's not a typo. I can't stand egg nog. It tastes medicinal to me. Blahhhhg. A creamy cup of hot cocoa by the fireplace and a good book sound pretty good to me. You didn't mention whipped cream, so I will. Homemade, not out of a spray can! Maybe homemade cookies too...No wonder I put on the traditional holiday 10!

Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

I worked at a very fancy pants toy department in college. We were supplied with every color of paper and ribbon you could imagine and expected to go all out when wrapping packages for customers. As a matter of fact, I think people bought gifts there just for the wrapping. Anyway, I got spoiled with all the beautiful supplies and could never afford to duplicate their wrapping station. So, Sandy Claus wraps, but not fancy pants.

You also need to remember, I'm at a different stage than most of you with young families. I have 20 somethings now so I try to make it entertaining in a whole different way.

They like cash. So, to make it fun, and by the way they don't like this, we hide the money and they have to go on a wild goose chase to find it. It starts off with the opening of the helicopters. We get the ones they can operate with their phones (be sure not to get them on the same frequency). They have to fly the helicopters up to the ceiling and try to knock down the hint that's hanging from the ceiling or the fan. That hint leads them to find the remote control cars. They have to drive those somewhere else to find they next hint and on and on. Nerf guns are always involved too. They end up finding the money but it's inside one of those puzzle mazes that you have to solve before you can open it. Did I mention that they hate this? We love frustrating them... They actually have more fun crashing the helicopters and cars. It takes forever to get to the money.

Colored lights or white?

I like white. Listen, I'm lucky if I get any lights. My husband hates putting the lights up outside and celebrates that he has 365 more days until he has to do it again. So, really I'll take any lights on my tree!

When do you Whaaaa? Decorate?

Not until the day we finish school. I'm serious. I'm so busy taking care of my little guys at school that my poor little family comes last. My boys don't show up until two days before Christmas so it's not as tragic as it sounds. The house lights go up after Thanksgiving.

Real or fake tree.

I live with Mr. Nature Boy (he's the best) so it's an issue every year. I like a big, freshly cut tree and he prefers a small live tree that we can plant and kill. :)

What tops your tree?

The most magnificent curled metal star thingy. It's so heavy our tree droops to one side but I don't care. It gives it personality.

Favorite Christmas memory or tradition?

I have two.

I grew up in a family with eight kids. My parents used to make us line up on the stairs, with the youngest first.  I was one of the oldest. When the youngest was little it was horrible waiting for her to walk down to to the bottom where there was then a mad rush to the living room. She was trampled every year and we would all have to line up behind her again (and the other littles) and walk patiently to the assigned pile. Hmmm...it is suddenly occurring to me where I get the whole torture your kids for their present thing....

The tradition that I love is having a breakfast with cinnamon rolls and cocoa. The table is set with our Christmas plates and cups. I try to make it look magical for them. We open our stockings at this time, too.

Do I remember my favorite gift as a child?

Yup. I was given calligraphy pens by my dad. Chatty Cathy was a close second.

Do you prefer giving or receiving?

Giving for sure. Nothing feels better. I just wish I were better at figuring what to give. We recently found a note from one of our boys when they were about 5 years old. He wrote that mom had no clue when it came to gift giving and dad was cheap. I think he got a lump of coal that year...

What's you favorite Christmas song?

That's a toughie. I love "It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas" and "Let It Snow."

And any song a 5 year old sings. I love how they mess the lyrics up!

Candy canes, yuck or yum?

I feel about candy canes they way I feel about egg not and candy corn. YUCK. BIG TIME!

Favorite Christmas movie?

"It's a Wonderful Life"

Do you shop online or in the stores?

Online and in the stores for panic, last minute, impulse buying.

Photo cards, letter or store bought cards.

Photo cards but only every five or so years. We like to keep people guessing and we never have as much amazing news as everyone else. Here's our last attempt in 2009 (my husband runs a white water rafting company).
As you open the card, it's us, all grown up!
That was fun! I'm off too see what you wrote!

Your comments make me happy!



6 comments:

  1. This may be my favorite post yet. I love your stories! Oh my gosh I am picturing the goose chase for the money. That is the BEST! And... I totally would have brought my Chatty Cathy over to play with yours! :) I love, love, love your family pictures! What a great way to start my day! Thanks for sharing.
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Friend! Chatty Cathy was fun but did you get a Suzy Homemaker Oven? I was reminded about it on another post. My dislike of packaged cakes may have come from that experience. :) You are my "bestest" follower. Thanks always.

      Delete
  2. Great idea about having (making) your boys look for the cash! My boys are 21 and 18 and they like cash too, but I can't let go of them having something to unwrap on Christmas morning. My husband also HATES putting up outside lights!! Where is your rafting business? What a fun business to have!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori! Even though my boys have a hullabaloo hunt for some cash, they still open a few silly things. This year I think I'll really upset them and get matching pj's for the family-really ridiculous ones. My husband's rafting business is in California but they run rivers all over the western United States. We have been very fortunate to have taken some amazing trips and raised our boys on the river-regular Huck Finns!

      Delete
  3. That card is adorable and my hubby won't hang any lights. Such a Scrooge! He's afraid of heights. So I decorate the house like no tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited you visited!! My husband starts to get in a bad mood about those lights around Halloween. He'd leave them up all year if I'd let him. Thank you for your comments. :)

    ReplyDelete