Saturday, January 11, 2014

Five for Friday

Hi everyone! What at week! It's time for Five for Friday. Thank you to Doodle Bugs for hosting!
fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]
Monday was a work day but Tuesday rolled around and it was back to our school routine. I think I looked similar to this little guy when the alarm clock went off.

I'd gotten a little too comfortable with sleeping in. Here's my week...

Probably just like everyone else, we worked on our resolutions. This is a terrible picture. I wish you could see them better. The kids know how to butter me up with all the resolutions to learn how to read. But I have to tell you, I love the really unique resolutions. One of my rascals wrote that he wants to learn how to ride a motorcycle. May I just say that if he EVER learns how to ride a motorcycle, I hope I'm safely tucked inside a building? I've seen him ride a bike and take my life into my own hands every day when I do yard duty. He tears around that playground like a crazy man, unaware of everybody. I'm just sayin'...



It was all about snow and winter this week!
We read one of our favorites, The Jacket I Wear In the Snow and then labeled our picture of the little girl in all her winter gear. After that, I had the kids hang up paper versions of the clothing in the correct sequence on a clothes line. We keep the clothes in a laundry basket and they can repeat the lesson whenever they want.
 My friend, Carolyn from Holding Hands and Sticking Together, wrote an amazing post last week about fun activities to do with this book and snow. This California girl needed help in this area and was thrilled to find so many fun things to do! Go check out her post! So many good ideas!

Last week I told you that we were going to finally learn how to cut a square into a circle to make snowmen. This is an important skill and it will help us make many more wonderful art projects. It makes me laugh that they think it's magical and often make it harder than it needs to be. We wasted a lot of paper!

 I wish I'd taken a close up so you could see how cute they turned out. Lots of them looked a little lopsided, but that may be my favorite part! Our bulletin board will be complete next week after we add our coffee filter snowflakes!

Here are the tables all set up and ready to go.
I found this adorable greater than, less than game on First Grade Parade and played it with my kids this week. They LOVED it. Cara has a short clip where she demonstrates how to play. The whole post is full of cute snow games. Thank you Cara for making our week more fun!


Next week we'll spend time learning about Martin Luther King and end the week making this art activity.

Because you only see the upper half of their body, they don't need to make legs. The arm positions are important. Make sure that the lower set of kids have their arms facing downward or inward. The upper kids have their arms up in the air, and the middle kids have their arms facing downward.  Our box is a little crowded in this picture and with 28 kinders this year we'll need even more space!!
We took pictures of all the kids and turned them into Frosty the Snowman. If you haven't been to Picmonkey, you need to! It's so much fun to edit your pictures and add fun fonts. This is my sweet TA and I'm not sure she'll be thrilled that I used her picture. She's the best!!!!

field of dandelions

We started our work week off with training for lockdowns. I'm forever sad that this is something that we even have to think about. I had tears in my eyes the entire time. Broken hearted. My wish is that we all stay safe this year and forever.

I hope you all have a gentle weekend. Thanks for visiting! Your comments make my day!





2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I love your snowmen- and the picmonkey snowmen! SO precious! So are your resolutions. You always have THEE cutest artwork! I don't know how you do it all. Have a wonderful weekend!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for telling me about Picmonkey. You're like my Fairy Godmother! :)

    ReplyDelete