Friday, January 17, 2014

Five for Friday



How I feel at the end of the week.
It's Friday!! Happy dance time. And time to link up with Doodle Bugs for my once a week post. Thanks to Kacey for hosting.
fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]
I'm apologizing ahead of time. My camera needs to be charged and my pictures this week are from my phone and not so great.

We're learning how to read time to the hour and I thought it would be fun to make a clock. I found one on Pinterest that's adorable and used it for inspiration. It was soooo easy and the kidlets had no problem asemblling them.


I have to say that adding a little paper type spring for the bird would have made them even more fun. I also created a little bit of a problem for myself because now when I ask them to read the time, they make a silly cockoo bird sound for each hour instead of actually saying the time. Ha! Be careful what you laugh at is the lesson I'll take from this...We're wearing our ant-on-a-log(analog) watches too which has also really helped.


Here's our finished MLK crayon box.

I love this project and all the discussion it encourages. I especially love that they are so proud of who they are and appreciate differences. When we read our MLK books, the kids were truly amazed that someone would ever be judged by the color of their skin. We also did a directed art project of Dr. King.

So sweet!



Snowflakes with coffee filters.
Each year, when we teach the kids how to make snowflakes, they think it's magical. They gasp every time as I open up the paper. They LOVE making their own and can't get enough. In fact, my TA and I can't fold the coffee filters fast enough. Our floor looked like a snowstorm by the time we were done and I'm pretty sure I saw our janitor make a run for the hills when he heard what we were up to.
That poor man. He can hardly wait to retire or maybe I should say he can hardly wait for ME to retire!! I had a parent meeting after school today and it looked pretty darn messy despite our efforts to clean. Five year olds clean fairly well, but you know what I'm talking about when I say their technique could use some tweaking.

Do your people do this? They put their favorite toy on the counter like I'm not going to see it or hide them in the strangest places...

I always remind parents that a clean kindergarten room is a bad sign. Think they buy it?
I posted a while back about our money behavior system. Well, I finally put up the bank and we are ready to roll. As a matter of fact, we've got one person very ready to cash in her change for a quarter and then go shopping at our class store! We're all 'a twitter!

My aide is usually the banker and sits behind the curtain making money exchanges with the kids. I have to find the visor that says Banker on it. She'll love that, I'm sure. She's such a good sport.
We love this money song by Dr. Jean:

Chinese New Year is coming up next and I want to turn these chameleons into a dragon somehow. I have done this project twice now and it is hands down, their favorite art activity of the year. You have to go and check it out. FANTASTIC!


Ground Hog Day is next. Look at this cute idea from happylittleart.blogspot.com

The following week is the 100th day! Whew! Not to mention Valentine's Day and Presidents' Day.


And to end with...

My children have been collecting heart shape rocks for me since they were very young. I have an amazing assortment, each very dear. My mother in law sent me something different to add to the collection. It won't last forever but it's certainly unique. A potato shaped heart. Ha!

Happy long weekend!
Please follow me on Bloglovin'. 

4 comments:

  1. You have been busy! All of the projects look great. I'm sure your kids are proud.
    So funny, A collects heart shaped rocks as well. Last summer we found a heart shape potato chip and just had to take a picture. I'll have to show her your potato.
    Have a nice week.
    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell A that there heart shapes everywhere if you just keep your eyes open! Happy weekend to you!

      Delete
  2. I found your blog through 5 for Friday! So funny! I love all of your amazing art projects...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete