Monday, January 20, 2014

Overdo Thank You Notes/My Own Monday Made-It!

So, I've got a pile of laundry, dishes to be washed and an empty fridge. I should be busy getting ready for the week. You know the drill; work like crazy organizing so your week doesn't all catch up to you and cause major hyperventilation...

But no. Not me and I'll pay for it later.

Here's why.

Last week, one of my littles said, "So, Mrs. Welchie, isn't that mug I gave you for Christmas just the BEST? It fits in the drink holder in your car AND it has a lid! Do you like it?"

And then all the others chimed in and asked how I liked their gifts...

Whoops.

My sons had the most amazing first grade teacher. She sent a handwritten note thanking every child for their Christmas gift. My boys were excited to receive mail from their teacher, and as the mom, I was so touched. In fact, I still have the notes. They were so thoughtfully written. Loved that woman!

So, after the embarrassing grilling from my people, I got right to work this morning making little thank you cards not just for my students, but several grown up people (I think you call those people adults) who have done very kind things for me lately.

My mother would be so proud.

Maybe not. I am a month overdue, after all.

Here are a few:
Cards for mommy helpers.
The banners are for some teenage Winter Program helpers.
I blurred the names. I never know if that's necessary...
These are for two of my kinders.
I hope they like them and know how much I loved each and every thing I received ( the gift I love most is the heartfelt note of appreciation, especially the little love notes given from those who have nothing else to give). Everyone deserves a thank you.

 I always feel bad when those with gifts want you to open them in front of everyone else. It makes those without feel badly and seconds afterward they're running to their desks to draw you a picture or give you something from their lunch bag. To avoid this, I always tell them that spending time with them is best gift I could ever get. I open presents privately with the gift givers.

How do you thank your kids? I'd love to know!

I'm off to the grocery store to buy detergent for the dirty laundry pile that's calling my name. Not to mention that I'm hungry and the mustard and sad looking veggies in my fridge just won't make a good lunch... I hope you're having a great day off. 

I'd love to hear from you!

5 comments:

  1. You should be selling those thank you notes! You are such an artist. Truly!
    Your children will treasure those, too!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had so many other things I should have been doing!!! This was really fun and I'm glad I did it. the kids were thrilled.

      Delete
  2. Sandy, I agree with everything you said in this post! I think that thank-you notes are SO important, and it really makes the children and their parents feel so special. I also take the child that has given me a gift to the side of the room, and open it just in front of them. The other children in the class then rush to their desks to draw me pictures, just like you said, and give me little candies from inside their lunch boxes. I tell my kids the best present they can give me is just to be kind to their friends, parents, and teachers. One little one made me a tactile card "because you can't see, Mrs. Dudley." Isn't that beautiful?

    If you have a second, stop by my blog! :)

    Your latest follower,

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    Teaching with Sight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked my little bloggie and there was your very thoughtful comment. Thank you so much! I always hating writing thank you notes as a kid, but every time I receive one as an adult, I am so excited and appreciative. You made my day!

      Delete
  3. Sandy those cards are SO adorable! You really could sell those templates and directions for sure. I always start out keeping track of all the gifts, but there are always some late just stuffed in a bag with no name, or not labeled at all and then I'm all mixed up! Plus they often give my hubby and I joint gifts because we're at the same school, so it's even more tricky. I often end up sending a a big thank you letter, with great determination to do better next year!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop Teaching

    ReplyDelete