Friday, February 7, 2014

Five for Friday





It's Friday!! And a long weekend!!
fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]

Thanks again to Doodle Bugs for hosting my favorite linky party. Here's a peek at my week:
Every year we make a paper quilt. It's a tedious job but the outcome is always beautiful.
I found this quilt pattern on Pinterest and tried to copy it using scrapbooking paper.

Simply Hearts
Here's our finished project. I have a friend who quilts come in and talk to the kids about the process. She happens to have taught first grade for 32 years and is the absolute perfect person to run this station. I'm sure she takes some Advil before she arrives.  :)
It starts off with some precise cutting. And lots of little, tiny pieces. The size that the "janitor guy" hates to see. I make sure I'm gone for the day before he sees my classroom.
I make a template for them to follow. It seems like they wouldn't be able to do this, but somehow they manage beautifully. We present it as though it's a puzzle and model, model, model (I love how I'm saying "we." I'm nowhere in sight).
Later that day I decided to let the first graders try. I scattered paper all over the tables and let them go at it. This is a stark contrast to the formal lesson that took place in kindergarten.
Brave teacher.
A good mess has never frightened me.
Pre-daisy quilt
I invested in several paper punches. I used my lace paper punch to go around the edge.

Quilt from the back. Not perfectly done but no one sees this side.

Last year's quilt. I posted in more detail here.


Last week I posted about our second grade's penguin bulletin board. Here it is updated with baby penguins. Soooo cute! They even used fuzzy material.


We made our Q is for Duck book. The kids loved the story and immediately came up with a page to add to the class book.
I have bunches of How to Draw books and put them out for the kids to use.
Here are some incomplete pages. We're still working on our 5 star drawing!


The kids love taking home a class book and can hardly wait until it's bound.
There's a little poem on the front cover that encourages respect for our traveling book:

Clean hands,
Gentle touch,
Surely a book
Deserves as much.

I always include a page in the back that leaves a place for parents or readers to write a comment.


The Valentine tree is up. After I read "What Do You Love?", I asked the kids to tell me how they knew their family loved them. The came up with some of the sweetest statements.
One little boy told me he knew grandam loved him because she takes him for special discovery walks and wakes him up late at night to have a midnight snack. I want to be that kind of grandma.

It'd be nice to have some company in the kitchen besides Ben and Jerry....



Here are my tried and true Valentine activities that I'll be prepping this weekend. I posted about all of these last year so I won't bore you with the details.

Love Bug hat
Sandwich board valentine for parents.
Long distance valentine
Four Valentines in a Rainstorm
Stitched necklace


And in closing, I had a little one tell me I had "dog breath" this week.

 I was caught off guard and even more floored when several other kids chimed in.
No more coffee for lunch. But how about some tea?
on my bad days...
Have a great weekend everyone! I appreciate each and every one of your comments! Please follow me on Bloglovin'!

18 comments:

  1. Your quilt is beautiful!! What an amazing job!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a labor intensive project to prep but it always turns out well.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the goofed comment... OK- First of all, I always LOVE the first picture you put up for Five for Friday! They crack me up. And your quilt... OH. MY. GOSH! How gorgeous/brave/wonderful! And - sad to say- my favorite for the week was the dog breath/sorry story. I can just see your face- because I am sure I have been there, too! :) Thank you for always sharing such fun posts!!!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Another memory made! I need to keep gum in my desk!

      Delete
  4. Hi! I just love your blog design. Reminds me of Linnea from the children's story about Monet.
    It made me smile when I saw it. Thanks.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! You made my day.

      Delete
  5. Oh Sandy the quilt is stunning!!!!! So pretty!
    XOXO,
    Katie
    Teacher to the Core

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited that you visited! Thank you so much. I have a great time making these quilts. I've always admired quilting but can't sew worth beans, so this is the best I can do. Happy weekend!

      Delete
  6. Your quilt is absolutely stunning! I cannot believe it's made out of paper!
    ~Natalie
    Natalies Nook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting and commenting! If you look closely you can tell it's made from paper! :) Trust me! I'm glad you like it.

      Delete
  7. You made me laugh with the dog breath!! And I am not trying to top your story, but this week I was pinning a large chart to the bulletin board above the water fountain in my room. I leaned against the push button thingie on the water fountain and got a good soaking down the front of my pants. The fifth grade girls sitting nearby that saw this were very amused, but also kept the secret for me as I edged sideways across the room to get my lab apron. I wore it until my big spot right in the crotchal area was dry.......it's not funny.

    Great to visit you- thanks to Doodle Bugs! And that quilt is amazing! Priceless!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA HA! I know we all have had those moments. That would actually be a funny linky party! Glad to meet you!

      Delete
  8. Lovely quilt and cute Valentine's Day projects.
    In line with your dog breath a couple of my little girls spent the better part of the morning calling me mamaw. Check your pride at the door, right?
    Have a nice week and happy Valentine's Day.
    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been called grandma quite often but it's when they call me grandpa that I take offense! Thanks as always for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH Sandy! Those quilt designs are just works of art! What do you do with them? Imagine if you put them up around the class each year and the room was filled! Or down the hall? Beautiful!
    You know I will love the penguins too!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know I hate to say this, but we toss the quilts after the spring art show. I usually make one with first and second grade too. They're really bulky and hard to store. So sad.
    Happy to hear about this summer!!!! Made my day!

    ReplyDelete