Saturday, March 8, 2014

Five for Friday

Hello! I just had to start my post with this picture. Made me smile!
Happy Saturday, everyone! I'm late because I'm just too tuckered out on Friday to get this done. It's time for Five for Friday and my one and only post for the week! Thank you Doodle Bugs for hosting!
It's all about spring !

Here are our vases and coffee filter flowers:
I love the uniqueness.
The kids are so proud!

I found this on Pinterest and ran to school to let the kids try it themselves.
Here's the original:


Here's ours:


We're five years old and I think they did a great job! I love them and haven't the foggiest what to do with them. We have no more bulletin board space, so maybe a big vase with a giant bouquet...



I need to post this picture because I'm pretty sure that you all must think I never do anything academic...
How about some ten frame action?

This is one of the many reasons our janitor is counting the days until my retirement! I've used tape before but didn't like how hard it was to get off the carpet. Neither did he..Chalk is the perfect solution. I love all the "Mrs. Welch, you're going to be in SO much trouble," remarks. I'm a real rebel, I tell 'ya. Living on the wild side, that's me!

We're working on subtraction/addition right now. The kids can't get enough of this sort of activity! I hope they're not writing on their carpets at home.



We got the March bulletin board up!

 I have to tell you, I dread making the rainbow. Painting all those little hands, positioning them just right on to the paper and then having all that sink activity is a wild time. We're all covered in paint and our hands are stained. My parents know not to dress their kids in foo foo clothes. It's a part of the big welcome-to-Mrs. Welch's-kindergarten beginning of the year talk. I'm that teacher that you see at the grocery store. You know what I'm talking about. I'm covered in paint, glitter and glue. It's in my hair, on my clothes and all over my face. Our school secretaries don't even notice anymore or comment. When I get home and look in the mirror, I just sigh. It's why I believe in aprons!

My little piece of advice is to begin with the red first. It will keep the other arcs in line.
The kids had a blast and my room looked like a tornado had hit!

They made three kinds of flowers: daffodils, poppies and cupcake liner flowers. After I demonstrated how to make each one,
they went to three different stations and completed the activities on their own. I was so impressed!

Here's the Pinterest pin:




 I mentioned last week that I let my kids publish their favorite story at the end of the year and then we have an Author's Book Signing and Ice Cream Social. I make 20 copies of each child's story. The kids come dressed in vests and thick rimmed glasses. The "author" sits with his/her books and signs copies and answer questions. Each book costs 5 cents. I haven't done this in a few years. Inflation might dictate that each book is more likely 25 cents/copy....
Here's a sample of the "All About the Author" on the second page of the book.





We just finished our Dental Health Unit and our Tooth Fairies. Here are a few. Aren't they something? They name them and write about what the Tooth Fairy does with the teeth.
What would we do without glitter?


Tooth Fairy, Tooth Fairy
Here is my tooth.
It finally fell out after being soooo loose.
Take it and turn it to stardust at night,
And put in it's place a prize that's just right!
(Author unknown)

Here's our little Tooth Pocket that I've made for years. It was something I got from a conference. Super easy to make!


Look at this adorable pocket that was on Pinterest from Embroidery Garden!




I'm going to do Six for Saturday because I have to tell you abut the silliest thing I do for St. Patrick's Day. I posted about this magic cooking project last year but it's worth posting agin, if I do say so myself. Ham it up!

St. Patrick's Day Cooking Magic

So, St. Patrick's Day is almost here. I know this because the kids are going bonkers. They're positive the little Leprechaun is hiding in the clock/intercom on the wall and we can't get anything done because they hear him giggling.

We do all the usual things that I'm sure everybody else is doing; itsy bitsy notes with hints about where to find him, we make traps, tiny footsteps across the tables, messed up class, little treats left behind. He even leaves worksheets for math and reading with teeny writing so they must use the magnifying glasses.

But there is one thing we do that makes them true believers; a magical cooking project that fools them every year. It's very easy but you really have to put on a show!

So, here's what you need: a box of white cake mix and all the ingredients
                                          2 eggs
                                          green food coloring
                                          two identical cups
                                          paper towels
                                          a paper grocery bag

Before the kids arrive, make a nest with the folded paper towels in one of the cups. Take one of the eggs and carefully tap around the upper portion. Remove the top and pour the egg into a bowl. Reserve the shell top and bottom. Put a few drops of green food coloring into the egg and mix well. As carefully as you can, pour the green mixture back into the egg shell and place the cap back on. Put the egg back into the cup and gently tuck a small piece of paper towel around and over the egg. Set aside while you get the cooking area prepared. This egg cup goes in the grocery bag last before the kids arrive. It spills very easily.

Set the cooking area up before the kids come. Place the grocery bag with the ingredients in a safe area where you will be cooking. The kids have to be kept away from this bag. I put the bag on a bench  next to the place where I sit for calendar. The kids know they can't bother that particular spot-we call it "Teacher Land." Put all the ingredients in the bag but be very careful with the egg that has already been mixed; if it spills, your magic will be ruined!!  The bowl, mixing spoons and cups are out in view. As the kids arrive, have them sit on the floor. Make sure they are back a few scoots from the bag.

Now put on your drama hat! Really ham it up! I tell them that I want to do a magic cooking project but it won't work if there is ANYONE who doesn't believe in the Leprechaun. We always invite a young man from a prior kindergarten year whose name is VERY Irish to come assist so that we have good luck. He sits in a place of honor and waves the wand over the egg mixture when needed ( he's in 8th grade now and I don't know what I'm going to do when he heads off to high school).

Ask for some magic words that they will use in the cooking project. Practice saying them with great enthusiasm while you or a helper waves the wand. When you think you couldn't possibly get them any more excited, move on to actually making the recipe.

I begin with the cake mix and pour it in the bowl ( use a clear Pyrex type bowl).Now for the fun! Do the egg next.

Tell them that if all goes well and there is Leprechaun magic in the room, the egg will turn green. Take the empty look-alike cup and make a nest that matches the one you did earlier while the kids watch. Make a big deal about it. Place the egg into the cup and cover it to match the other one with another piece of paper towel. Tell the kids that as you or one of the kids wave the wand over the cup, they need to say one of the magic words that they have practiced. Repeat with four or five different words. Really overdo the enthusiasm.

Uncover the egg and crack in a similar way to the already dyed egg. In a VERY disappointed voice, show them how it didn't turn green. DON'T pour it out or remove it from the cup. Carefully replace the lid and pack it with the paper towel. GENTY place it back in the bag away from the other cup so you don't get them mixed up. Tell them that you can try again in a minute after you add all the other ingredients. Be disappointed but hopeful and move on to the other ingredients.

Once you have finished adding all the other ingredients, very carefully take out the first egg cup that has already been dyed. Of course the kids think this is the egg that you had tried to change earlier. Ha! Tell them that their magic must not have been strong enough and that it is time to try again! Really act worried. Repeat the magic words and wand waving even more enthusiastically than before!. Very slowly remove the top paper towel. Expose the egg and take the lid off. Once they see the egg has turned green the room explodes with excitement. Settle them down (good luck!) and add the magic green mixture to the cake batter. Bake later! Time for recess!!!!!!!

Put the bag of ingredients up immediately! One year I had a very curious student who made a bee-line for that bag! I almost had to tackle that little rascal. He was bound and determined to figure out my trick and came back for years asking me about how I did it. He's probably in college now and the next time I see him maybe I'll confess! I hope you have as much fun with this silly activity as I have! You're going to be remembered for this one!

It's only Saturday! You can be ready to go by St. Patrick's Day!

What do you do that's a little different for St.Patrick's Day? I would love to hear from someone!



In closing, I have to show a sample of our Cat in the Hat directed art project!




Okie Dokie, that's all, folks!

Please follow me. I love your comments!


Here's a picture to make you smile!
















2 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy! I just got your message about aprons! My email is whimsyworkshopcreations@gmail.com
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susanna! Just saw this message. Will contact you by this weekend!

    ReplyDelete