Friday, March 21, 2014

Five for Friday

This week I'm calling my favorite linky party "Finally It's Friday." 
That leprechaun did me in this year, but it's spring break and I can fully recover!
Here's a peek at my week...



Speaking of Leprechauns... I actually had kids turning green! It was NOT good.

Here's what happened...

Last Friday, the leprechaun left a note that said he'd hidden a yummy snack somewhere in our classroom. We tore up the place looking for it and finally found some very small, but heavily iced green cupcakes!
What fun, right? We could hardly wait for snack time, let me tell 'ya!
When it was finally time to eat, they gobbled them up in one bite. As soon as they were done, one little said she felt sick, and then another...oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I think the graham cracker and thick chocolate milk they had for snack may have contributed to our upset tummies, too. It was a case of too much sugar! I felt so sad for my two little buddies.
 So,
On Monday we had green apples and green grapes with low fat milk.

 No upset tummies.



Never a dull moment.

The best part to our St. Patrick's Day is ALWAYS the magic cooking project. You can read about it here.


We invited preschool in to watch and it was the best ever!! They all fell for it hook, line and sinker. I could hear them talking about it with their parents as they left school. Hee, hee!
We also made my layered St. Patrick's Day positional word book. It's free in my TPT store if you'd like to grab it for next year!





I just had to include our chameleons. This is without a doubt, out favorite art project of the year. Thank you Artolazzi!


Every year the kids name them and carry them around on their shoulders like they're real. Here's Lisa. 
 I see a perfect opportunity to make a little writing activity to go with it...
I'm sure they'll be thrilled!!


Math fun
We're in the middle of addition and subtraction right now and I found two really fun things to do with the kids. One is a game that Greg Smedley  (his blog is really wonderful and always makes me smile) talked about on his blog this week. It's called "Bump, Bump, Jump, Jump, Pump, Pump, Rump, Rump."

HILARIOUS!!!!

You've got to go to his blog and watch the video he made of his class playing the game. My kids loved it. LOVED it!

The other is an adorable packet for subtraction called
Subtraction Fun-Interactive Worksheets for Introducing Subtraction by From the Pond. We have had a blast doing the worksheets all week.




Next week, the kids will learn how to make both vertical and horizontal addition and subtraction problems with large graph paper. It sounds difficult but we make it age appropriate! I'll try to remember to post about it next week. 
(Considering that I forgot my #5 on my Five for Friday last week, it could be a problem...I just noticed that. Who does that?
A very tired teacher.)
We're having so much fun with our weather unit! We learned about wind and had to end our day with kites, of course. Here are some plastic bags with string that work really well. We use real kites, paper airplanes and army man parachutes, too. I'm always surprised how many kids have never flown kites before.
 I don't know about you, but I cringe on kite flying day because they never look where they're running. They're too busy trying to watch their kite and smack right into each other. Makes my hair gray(er).

We also learned about clouds. We went out in our field to look at the sky/clouds. What a special thing to do with your kids. So sweet to hear their thoughts.
Here's a little flip book they made:
 March came in like a lion and it looks like it will go out like a lamb. Here are lions. We'll make lambs on the 31st! -can't wait to show you. They're super cute!


This was my inspiration:


Our door has caused some commotion this year and raised a few eyebrows, totally by mistake.
A friend painted my door with chalkboard paint and it has turned out to be a wonderful thing. Most of the time, that is...

The first door message that got comments from parents:
Our sight word was love and our handwriting letter was R/r. I have the kids go out and practice their letters on the sidewalk with chalk and I guess someone decided to practice on the door. It wasn't until later in the week that a parent pointed out that our door said lover. Whoops and HA!
Door number two:
Our sight word was do. I sent them out to practice their sight word again on the sidewalk and that same little practiced on the door. Well, the kids caught this one and nothing makes kids laugh more than potty talk.

 Oh brother.

Five year olds and their senses of  humor. Got to love 'em!

That's it, folks. If you saw something you liked, I hope you'll comment!
Please follow me.
Have a great weekend!




5 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! I love your blog, the name, the graphics and the content! I will definitely be following you from here on. I really like that book and will be making chameleons very soon! I work with Kinder-2nd graders with disabilities and we work at kinder level in many things.thanks for the ideas, Paula @ educating children with disabilities.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great way to wake up and find your kind remark. Thank you for starting my Saturday off right!

      Delete
  2. Sandy, I mentioned you in my Five for Friday post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm headed over to see what's up! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Sandy, I always cannot WAIT for your Five for Friday. You do SO much in your week. SO many fabulous things. Thank you for sharing all of these great ideas- and laughs! Those chameleons are precious.
    :) Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete