Saturday, May 31, 2014

Five for Friday!

Happy Fried for Friday! What a week! We have five more days and they're going to be action packed. I don't know about you, but I want kinder graduation to be really wonderful and so, every year I run myself into the ground and end up getting sick the day after school ends. You'd think I'd learn!
So, I pretty much don't have time for this today, but I just can't stay away!!!

Thank you Doodle Bugs!






We had a visit from a bear this week! We've had snakes, squirrels and bats, even mountain lion sightings, but never a bear! It started with kindergarten finding bear scat in our play area.

Lovely.

Then the cook found the trash bins caved in and paw/claw prints everywhere. Next, Mr. Bear decided to sit on the stairs to the upper cut. The sixth grade class could see him from their windows. We obviously had to stay inside until Fish and Game deemed our campus bear free. And we were bear free for a few hours. And then he came back!

We all went back inside.
Ughhhhhh!

We cleared our counters off so that we could watch if he came into the yard (we sometimes sit up there to watch the snow or rain fall or anything else interesting going on in our yard). We were all a twitter, I tell ya!

Then, to make the story even more fantastic, the bear actually went into a nearby house that belongs to one of my kindergarten students. Twice!! The first time my kinder kid discovered him and dad didn't believe him! Lots of noise and a wide open door got him to exit. The second time the bear climbed in through the bathroom window and ate a loaf of bread.
We had lots to write about in our journals!!


We survived our annual fishing trip to the trout farm.This is a picture of the pond. Last year I took 16 kids, this year I took 28 kids. But I had 15 parent volunteers!! With that many extra eyes, all was well. The best possible news is that I didn't have to fish!! It's not my thang!
We came back and had to draw our fish!
Here are my samples:




We'll paint them on Monday. 
I love their fishies so much more than mine!
Aren't they the BEST?







Heart shaped rocks for graduation are done and ready for placement in the school garden.


I put their names in the middle of each rock with their graduation year and then Modge Podged everything. I have many heart shaped rocks from my own two boys. They sit on my kitchen window sill or out in my garden and are a source of much happiness for me. I hope my little buddies will come back and look for their rocks as they grow. I have to mention that my nature boy husband was appalled to see the rocks painted!!



Look at this closet! Oh my gosh, what a nightmare! I'm not a good putter-backer.


We send home a large paper doll at the end of the year. The parents are to find out what their children want to be when they grow up and then help the child dress the doll appropriately. They are to be holding something in each hand that goes along with the job. Anyway, it's really fun and they always turn out so sweet. I tell the parents that they may come in and get supplies if they don't have any at home. Guess which closet those supplies are in? I've never been so embarrassed!
Guess what I'll be doing this summer!





Here goes graduation.

While everyone else is busy taking down their bulletin boards, I'm putting new ones up for graduation. Lots to do this week. One of the things that I have out on their desks at our graduation reception is their art portfolios. They contain writing samples as well as our art from the year.

Here's how to make the portfolio, if you're interested. I've had over 1000 visits to this post, so I guess it's turned out to be a good thing for other teachers. I'm so glad!

I also read this little poem at graduation last year. You can edit it and put in your own names!

Well we've come to graduation, how fast the year has gone,
It's time to take your sneakers off and put your flip-flops on.
It's time to put your pencil down and remove your thinking cap;
It's time for you to take a trip, and for me to take a nap.
But before we break for summer and out the door I shove you;
I want to take a moment, to tell you each how much I love you.
Annie I love your beautiful eyes, and Kenny I love your giggle;
And Michael I love the way you wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
David I love the way you think and Peter the way you care.
And Christy what I would give, if I could have your hair
Sally I love your artistry and Kathy the way you sing;
And Laura I am forever thankful that you found the diamond from my ring*.
Brian I love your tenderness; And Katie I love your heart.
And Taylor I love the way you are so very smart.
Natalie I love your sweetness, Betty I love your compassion;
And Crsytal please don't ever, lose your sense of fashion.
And Joey, Joey, Joey, how much I love your zest!
I cannot wait for next year (but first I need some rest).
And all of you together! Well, you make me grin from ear to ear.
We've had a fun adventure; it's been a wonderful year.
But now it's on to first grade; and then grades two and three.
And lickity split, before you know it, you'll be as old as me.
You'll be doctors and farmers and fancy cake bakers.
You'll be pilots and poets and computer game makers.
You'll be rock stars covered with shiny jewels, you'll be fireman covered in cinders.
But whatever you are, for the rest of your life, you'll always be my Kinders.
So, my wishes for you come in one last little burst.
I hope you always remember to put other people first.
I hope you always remember to sing and to dance.
And I hope you never find frogs in your underpants.
That last line was a huge hit!

Now, I'm off to pick up a retirement cake for my last two old time teaching buddies. I told them I'm very mad they're leaving me and I'm never going to forgive them. I am now one of the oldest teachers at our school. I still think I'm 27 so it's a little tough to admit...

Anyway, I hope you have a great weekend and that you're not putting up new bulletin boards for graduation! HA!

9 comments:

  1. WOW! You are amazing! I can't tell you how much I love all of your ideas here! The fish and the paper dolls are toooo sweet. We are truly kindred spirits with our heart rocks. I love them, too. That poem is the very best. Oh my gosh- the bear! We had a bat in our school this week and I thought that was something. That seems like nothin'! :) Happy Weekend! Rest up, my sweet friend! XOX
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I go to school at 6:30 in the morning and I'm scared to death I'm going to met that bear up close and have no one to help me! Actually, I'm more afraid of the mountain lion! Happy weekend!

      Delete
  2. I love this! My students are very accustomed to bears in their yards, but seeing one at school still gets them all excited. We have to train them to know what to do, and I take a loud bear bell with me when we go out to the forest, just in case! Once we saw a mama bear with her babies at school - so sweet! But we were careful to stay FAR away for sure!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. While the bear was an exciting event, the most frightening thing that's ever happened to me at school involved lightning! I was working at school alone when a huge thunder and lightning storm came through. All of a sudden, my hair stood on end and one of the kids toy frog started croaking! It was so creepy. I watched as lightning hit the jungle gym and then the lights, phones and computers all went out. I couldn't get out of there fast enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many lovely ideas there - I especially like the paper doll idea - really nice to get the parents involved and talking to their kids about what they want to be when they grow up. I will have to try that one! Thanks!
    Growing Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love stopping by, Sandy! You have such great ideas. Maybe one day I'll use them in my own classroom. I've said it before, and I'll say it again.. I aspire to be half the teacher you are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be so terrified to go to school with a bear running amuck! I love your painted heart rocks, so sweet!
    Mrs. Spriggs’ Kindergarten Pond

    ReplyDelete
  7. A and I love the rocks of course love the rocks.
    Thanks for sharing the poem. I'll have to pin it for next year.
    Have a great rest of your week and take care.
    Amber
    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete