Sunday, November 23, 2014

Another Late Five for Friday!


OK. This is an all time record for being late for the Five for Friday.
Busy, busy, busy!
I'm busy cleaning. Lots of company headed our way for Thanksgiving. 

But the most worrisome part of this holiday is that, at age 56 years, I'm baking my first turkey. I have people on speed dial should I need help. And, if you're brave enough to read this whole post, you'll see why this is such a huge concern...

This post isn't full of great ideas. It's full of blunders.
It happens. 

Well, we sort of survived The Feast. I made new paper vests this year and they bombed. The paper edges were irritating their necks and they couldn't get them off fast enough. We managed to take the Thanksgiving picture and then there was lots of tearing and throwing away of little vests. Poor babies and poor me! It took hours to put those vests together. NEVER AGAIN!!! We'll joke about it at graduation.

And don't even ask about the woven placemats!
On my goshhhhhhhhhhhh!

Here's the next blunder.
I saw these turkeys on Pinterest and thought they would be fun to make for the kids.
I went to 4 stores looking for candy corn. Did you know stores send back candy corn after Halloween? I had no idea. I finally found some and headed home to get to work. It was about 7pm by this time and these little fellas took a long time to make. Cute, huh?

I came downstairs the next morning and found this little guy my husband made just for me!
Anywho...
I put the turkeys in the back of my car and headed off for a very busy kindergarten day.
I somehow thought they'd be fine there for awhile and so, I left them for later. My plan was to  surprise the kids with the turkeys at dessert time.
I underestimated the temperature in my car.
The chocolate glue completely melted and they collapsed.
Fell over on top of each other.
Turkey suicide.
Just my luck.
All you can do is laugh. 
And grab a cup of coffee to go with the drown your sorrows chocolate binge.


I love the toast that I teach my kids for our Feast.

There are good ships,
And wood ships,
And ships that sail the sea.
But the best ships
Are friendships
And may ours always be.


Here's what they ended up saying:

There are good ships,
And WOODCHIPS,
And ships that sail the sea.
But the best chips
Are friendships.
And may ours always be.

Oh well.
Those wood chips have caused nothing but trouble.
:)


I would tell you to never eat dinner at my house. In fact, I'd tell you to run in the other direction! My poor husband would tell you that too. My "go to" dinner is a quesadilla that's served with a bottle of salsa and a whole, uncut avocado. It's up to the diner to spoon out their own salsa and cut the avocado. If you're lucky, I might even take it out of the pan and serve it on a plate! HA!

Dessert is a different story. Be sure to drop by after dinner has been served.

 I LOVE to bake. It makes your home smell cozy and always brings smiles.  Since I'm not sharing anything educational this week, I'd like to share one of my favorite recipes instead.

When I was in high school (40 years ago), I worked at an organic restaurant. Whenever the owner baked cakes, she would let me help. I would scurry around the kitchen grabbing ingredients for her. None of the recipes were ever written down and she would just somehow know what to add. It was magical and the cakes were incredible.

Here is a wonderful carrot cake recipe that is very close to hers. I hope your family loves it as much as mine does. It sure beats my quesadilla!!!

Use fresh carrots, not the pre-grated kind. This recipe makes two layers. I make a triple layer cake and 1 and 1/2 times the recipe. It looks very impressive!

Cream together:
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
Add :
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups oil
Mix well.
Add:
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
Mix well.
Add:
2 cups of finely shredded carrots
2 small cans of crushed pineapple, including juice
2 cups raisins
1 cup nuts

Preheat oven to 350.

I cut parchment paper, butter and flour my pans. Divide batter evenly between pans. Bake until golden brown. Cool completely.

The frosting is just a cream cheese frosting with whipped cream folded in.

Lots of whipped cream.

Whip 1.5  cup of heavy cream until stiff. No need to add powdered sugar. Place in a separate bowl.

With the mixer, cream together:
1 8oz. package softened cream cheese
1 cube softened butter(yes, a whole cube!)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Add powdered sugar alternately with a few tablespoons of milk until you like the consistency. Beat until lumps are gone. Fold in the whipped cream and frost that cake!! If it's soft, I will often place it in the freezer for an hour. Oh, yum!

My aprons finally arrived yesterday!
Woot woot!

We're ready for the holidays!!

I'm thrilled that they're here. I have preorders to fill and the shipping department is ready to go!

Go to my TPT store Kinder-gardening/apron to check them out! 
I'm going all out and will wrap them up cutsie style for the holidays!





This is my personal favorite.
Here's a close up of the fabric

We're also getting ready to sell the child sized version and hope to have them shortly!

We have a Facebook page for the Show and Tell Aprons. 
The problem is,  I have no idea how Facebook works. 
Seriously. 
I need lessons. 
Anyway, I hope you'll "like "it.
I was thrilled that I had 60 likes, but when my family broke into hysterics, I realized that's considered pitiful.
Oh dear.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

I am grateful for family and friends and good health.
I am also so grateful for the little feet that run through my classroom door. 
Those 5 year olds are truly the best part of my day.

4 comments:

  1. Sandy, I just want to give you a HUGE HUG because this post made my day... and because I kept saying, "awwww!" all the way though! Your husband's turkey surprise was perfect- and I felt so bad seeing your masterpieces in a heap of pieces. I wish I were there to eat it all up with you! Your apron fabrics are gorgeous! You will do awesome with your turkey! AND I love the poem- and that recipe! Thanks so much for sharing. XOX Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carolyn! Disaster left and right last week. Tough toasties I always say! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Sandy, if it makes you feel any better we all have days like yours! The poor turkeys... and all that time to make them and the vests. UGH! I'm with you on the subject of Facebook. Everyone told me I had to have an account. So I have an account. And I don't even know how to get stuff on there... there's some way to hook up posts, but I don't know what it is. And it just isn't a priority for me right now. Some day. Hang in. Have a great turkey day with all your company. I spent the weekend cleaning, too! Kathleen p.s. Still love my apron :) Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Facebook! I don't get it at all. It's a great source of laughter for my family.

    ReplyDelete