Saturday, August 8, 2015

More ideas for the apron!


Ok, here we go with some other ideas for the apron!


I need to apologize for the videos. They are far from professional and we didn't know how to edit, so you're seeing all the mistakes! Of course, I'm very critical and can't believe that's my voice and I have NEVER enunciated "punctuation" quite like I did on this video. Oh dear. 

I made these videos two days after surgery and literally jumped off the recovery couch to make them, thus the bare feet. Sorry! My sister helped me with the video and you'll notice that I can't look at the camera because I would have started laughing! HA! I could hardly watch these, my husband couldn't watch them, and we're all amazed I'm taking this step! I'm pretty sure this would make a great SNL skit...

Ready?
First off, the apron is not something you simply put on and go about your day. It takes work and organization. Every morning you need to decide what you want to emphasize for the day. It might simply be their sight word of the day or week. While I change the cards out, at the beginning you may want to try just one thing until you become comfortable. I do a lot of layering of the cards, especially with songs. It takes some rehearsing, but the kids love it!



On this video I introduce the Hello song. We sing this song every day but I don't always use the hello cards. That would just be too boring EVERY day! I'll meet them at the door, sing the song and maybe have five sight words in my pockets for them to read as they come through the door. It's a quick assessment to see who has or hasn't mastered those words! Sometimes, I'll have the cards all mixed up and it drives the kids crazy! I'll hand the the cards to them and they'll get my pockets all organized without even realizing that they just sequenced a story or song into beginning, middle and end!


This video has a few quick math ideas. 
I have lots more and YOU'LL begin to think of a million more! I hand drew my own cards for two years. UGHHHH!I know that all of you are wonderful on the computer and can make your own cards! 
Organization of the cards is an issue! I put a rubber band around each set and place all the reading/language arts cards in one shoe box and the math and songs in another. My sister, who teaches first grade, suggested using a clear hanging shoe organizer! Brilliant!!



I wear my apron all day and often forget to take it off when I to the grocery store and bank! Be careful to check you pockets often to be sure you don't have an inappropriate word!!!!! Trust me,, it happens!
You can find the apron in my TPT store, Kinder-gardening

Ask me questions!



13 comments:

  1. These videos give me so many wonderful ideas for my apron. I cannot wait to try some new ones that I never thought of. Thank you so much. I love your personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fran. You know how scared I am to have them up and running!

      Delete
  2. Eek! I can't wait to get my apron now!! So many ideas... so many possibilities :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you are excited and see all the potential. I truly hope the kids love the apron! Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  3. You rock, Sandy! I love how easy this apron is to use and how many different ways there are to use it! I love my aprons so much! And I love sharing how to use them with teachers all across this country (and in Canada too!). You did a super job on these videos and you look so adorable in all of your cute aprons! <3 :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Palma! How did you know that I desperately needed some positive feedback? I was getting ready to take them down. So uncomfortable! You're like a little Fairy Godmother. Thank you for being so kind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy, I love these videos! So helpful. I've been afraid to wash it because I didn't want to mess it up. I have FIVE of your aprons because I LOVE them so much!!! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful aprons with us. Your videos are perfectly perfect and I love your voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can I save this comment forever and ever? Thank you , Deanna! The aprons wash well but the secret is to laying them flat to dry and no dryer!! Keep your iron far away from the vinyl. Also, don't leave them in a hot or freezing car either. Been there, done that. Not a good idea!

      Delete
  6. Sandy!! These are amazing!!! Great videos!! And I love your hello song!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sweet Sarah! You're so kind. More songs to come to show how to layer the cards while you sing. UGHHHHH.

      Delete
  7. These videos are FABULOUS! Oh my goodness! I didn't have internet for a couple days- and I missed out on this! You did such a great job explaining and it is so helpful to see real examples of the apron in use. Thank you so much for sharing these. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need some back up singers for the song video!!! How about it? These were really tough to post but I hope they helped someone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your videos are great!!! There are so many uses!!! I need, need, need one!! :)

    Sarah
    A Sunny Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete