Saturday, November 14, 2015

Five Minutes for Friday!

Thank you , sweet Doodle Bugs!
I have report cards and a feast to prep for so this will be fast!!

Yesterday was World Kindness Day. I believe one of my jobs is to teach my kindergartners the importance of being kind and compassionate towards others. It is what I consider to be a life skill and one of the greatest joys you can experience. If you were to ask my kids what the three rules in my classroom are, they would say, "Be kind. Be kind. Be kind."
We began our day listening to "How Full Is Your Bucket?" They caught on and totally agreed how wonderful it feels to do something kind for someone. It's even  fun to do something kind without needing or looking for a thank you. So, with all this in mind, we set out to do something fun and kind for our upper grade kids...

I told them that to find a penny is good luck and that when you find one, you're supposed to make a wish and put the penny in your shoe. Some already knew this, but most had never heard of such a fun thing! They were sooooo excited to place a penny on the sidewalk for our biggest kids. Off we tippy toed...I brought enough pennies for everyone to place on the sidewalk in the 6th, 7th and 8th grade corridor. As they quietly (HA!) placed a penny on the sidewalk, or benches or doormats, I kept watch. What fun!!! We were all giggly and tickled with ourselves. Our buckets felt full.Off we went on our way to the computer lab and later, up to the library.
When we got to the library, the librarian came to story time and told them that she had been down the upper grade corridor and found a penny. In fact, she saw lots of pennies but only picked up one. She was smiling from ear to ear. She took the penny out of her shoe and taught them this little poem that she learned as a child; 
Find a penny
Pick it up.
All day long you'll 
Have good luck!
Well, they were about to burst and couldn't wait to tell her that they were responsible for those pennies and good luck wishes. It was the BEST, I tell you!
Mission accomplished!


Here's our finished Veterans Day project.
I wish I had used a deeper red/orange shade of watercolor.
Oh well, California poppies are orange...



Here comes Thanksgiving!!

Here's a cute toast to teach your kids for the holidays:
There are wood ships,
And there are good ships,
And there are ships upon the sea.
But the best ships
Are friendships,
And may ours always be.

 We're trying desperately to decorate for the Feast and did this directed drawing activity. They'll paint the background on Monday. They make me smile! Aren't these full of personality?



More prep for that Feast!!
These are the milk carton holders for the table. So cute when there are 25 lining the table!

I can't believe I bother with this vest project. It makes for part of a cute Thanksgiving costume and picture memory for the parents. It takes hours to make them with my trusty glue gun and stapler.The kids tear them off as soon as we take the picture. My vision of them wearing the whole costume at their family's celebration may be just a false hope!

So, this made me cry. 
Look what I found on my desk this week. I still don't know who did this very kind thing for me.
 I have always saved kind notes that parents have written me. I keep them in my memory trunk, along with baby clothes and pictures. This will be added to my treasure box.
Sniff, sniff. 

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Sandy, your penny idea is thee sweetest thing ever! I know how happy I am when I find one- so I can just imagine the joy you spread! And the note from the parent was just the icing on the cake. Perfect. <3 And nobody deserves recognition more than you do. You are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I have to say is, thank goodness for you, Carolyn. This bloggy world would be mighty lonely without you!!!!xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to try to do the penny idea! I think my prek students would love it!

    ReplyDelete