Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Directed Draw

Directed draw for Barack Obama!

This is a fun and easy directed art lesson. When I teach directed art lessons I often don't talk! I just draw and they follow along.  My kids have grown to prefer this method and will often ask me to be quiet while I model. I'm pretty sure this isn't a compliment...
I'll try not to "talk." Instead, I'll post picture by picture.

Just a little direction is required for the teacher.
First, we gather all the necessary materials.
Needed: 3 small crayons, black, skin colored and blue, all peeled
White drawing paper
Pencil

I will often model the whole drawing at carpet before the group draw.
(For some, this is all you need to do.
I have TK in with K and they need more direction sometimes.
I want this to be fun and they can become overwhelmed).
After the demonstration, I excuse the kids so they can set up their materials.
I tape my paper up on the closet door (my easel) where everyone can see.
We talk about how each picture will be unique and special and I tell them to just try their best!!
We try to stay together...
Without talking, I hold up a black crayon until everyone holds up theirs,
 and then I write my name on the lower left hand corner of the paper.
I have also taught my kids to wait until I am done before they draw,
but I really don't mind if they want to scoot ahead.
You get the idea!
Sometimes we play soft music while we draw.
It's supposed to be quiet (ha!) and calm while we work (ha! ha!).
Hope springs eternal!  :)
We're five after all... and I adore their comments.

You'll have to talk about ovals verses circles. This is by far the toughest part. A face is more of an oval. They can practice on the back of the paper with pencil. I've also done directed draws with the oval or circle already drawn.

Here are the pictures:
Gather materials, draw an oval.

Ears should go down half way, centered on either side of his head.
He has a warm, wonderful smile that we noticed in every picture. The kids loved this.
 Color in the face.
Teach them how to lay the crayon on its side and push to color.
 Add the eyes after they have colored in his face or the eyes will smudge.
Eyes are placed across from ears.
Add short hair that goes from ear to ear.
I'm terrible at noses and the kids will often draw their own preferred version.
 We put him in a suit and tie because he is an important guy!!!!
Add shoulders, a v for the collar and a circle for the tie.




Have them color in his suit and background the same way as mentioned above.
Easy Peasy! A very handsome President Obama! Their versions always turn out better than mine!

1 comment:

  1. Its an amazing post that you are giving to us.I really happy and enjoyed a lot to read this one.Thank you so much for sharing this directed art lessons.Its not easy but you are giving better ideas for drawing in an easy way.Thanks a lot.Students get new dissertation writing ideas and can improve their writing skill by taking assistance from writing resources.

    ReplyDelete