Saturday, May 7, 2016

Five for Friday

Five for Friday


I'm linking up with Doodle Bug's Five for Friday.
Thank you Kacey for hosting!
I haven't posted in a while because my camera has been broken!!
These are some of the pictures that survived...


 Earth Day bulletin board
We used recycled newspaper and tissue.

Mother's Day!
Here are some flowers bright and bold
Held by the hand you love to hold.
Someday the flowers will disappear
But this little hand will always be near.
We made purses to get our presents home safely!


 How To writing 
April was filled with dandelion puffs and writing about how to make a wish.
We went on a dandelion puff hunt, wrote about how to make a wish, learned how to draw puffs and then
we made wishes for the Earth...

Look at this sweet puff!
This little one has been listening to her teacher!
Our three rules are to be kind, be kind, be kind.
And we moved on to learning how to blow a bubble and then wrote about the three steps.
They had so much fun practicing! This idea is from Mrs. Lee's Kindergarten.
We also blew bubbles with soap wands and
learned how to draw them too! I found this on a blog called The Lost Sock.
These looked cute paired with their How To papers.
I can honestly say we've  pretty much covered everything bubble!
 Friday was Cowboy day!!
I love this picture!
Not my best look...
Sheriff Welch
Those are coffee grounds on my face. I smelled great but they leave an
 interesting 2 O'clock shadow stain when you wash them off.  I get
some interesting looks at the grocery store.
 
My new favorite Cowboy Day project. 
The kids were so excited when we turned out the lights
 and they had their own campfire!
I wear my apron every day to reinforce all kinds of concepts.
Here are some of the ideas for sight words:
Side note: My door has been painted with chalkboard paint and has
 turned out to be perfect for our sight words!
Every week we concentrate on a new sight word and add it to our door.
Here was our word this particular week. As the kids come through the door, they rainbow write the word with chalk, spelling it aloud as they trace.
Now for the apron!
I greet them at the door with the sight word letters in my pocket and we learn Heid's song to go with the word as they stand in line.
(This is one of my favorite aprons
but the pattern is a little too busy)
Throughout the day and week I might place a blank card in front of one or two of letters.
As they come in or go out the door they have to tell me which letter is missing
or they have to unscramble the letters.
I might greet them with a scrambled sentence that 
they have to fix.
We can use an Expo pen (I usually use a black Expo pen but I took this picture at home) to make capitals and punctuation directly onto the vinyl.
Just be sure to erase soon so it doesn't become permanent!
I use question and exclamation marks too so that we can practice intonation.
Changing the picture cards as they come through the door makes it more fun for the kids.

2 comments:

  1. Sandy, your kids are so lucky. You do the neatest stuff! Five o'clock shadow- ha! And that particular apron is particularly gorgeous... I wonder how MANY aprons I could put to use :) See you later. Kathleen Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really good post, you surely know how to engage your kids. These are some good stuff, Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete